Join now or Sign in to comment
Should I ride my horse after she got her fall shots?
Last Post 17 Oct 2006 01:14 PM by Qrtrhorser. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
16 Oct 2006 01:04 PM
    Hello. Do you think it's ok to ride my horse after she's had her fall shots or do you think it's best to give her the day off? If I did ride, it would only be very light riding and hours after she had the shots. I usually give her the day off and she gets turned out all day but it's going to be rainy the next day or so where I live and was hoping to get some riding in while I can. Some say the shots may give them a stiff neck, others say that some exercise may help loosen them up. Thoughts?

--
    16 Oct 2006 01:11 PM
    If it's going to be hours later, and if you just give a light work out, I think she'll be okay. Lots of forward work and asking her to stretch her neck into a long and low outline should be comfortable for her. She'd probably get uncomfortable if you ask for a lot of collection etc.

Play it by ear and see how she feels once you're on Smile

--
    16 Oct 2006 04:22 PM
    I end up asking the vet this every year! I'm always told to just ride lightly, and not ask them to collect too much. Any of the horses in the lesson program who have to work that night (they all get done at once) get some bute for any stiffness, and the instructors take it easy on them that night. If your horse tends to get too stiff and ouchy from his shots ask your vet if you can give 1/2 tablet of bute, depending on size. Stick out tounge

--
    16 Oct 2006 04:48 PM
    My vet always says NO, wait untill the next day.

--
    16 Oct 2006 05:35 PM
    My Vet says there should be no work on that day after the shots are given and light work the next day. If MLV vaccines are used she wants you to check temp before riding the next day as they may run a fever from these.

If I don't want to miss a day of work I will shedule the shots for later in the afternoon and give them a light work in the morning on 'shot' day.

--
    16 Oct 2006 05:42 PM
    My vet and trainer say its ok... as long as its very light riding.. and not for very long.
    So i ride for about 20 to 30 min and make it easy stuff that we've done before.

Jesse

--
    17 Oct 2006 12:56 PM
    Isn't it suprising how many different answers we are all getting from our vets? It just goes to show that not all vets are created equal! Grin

I would love to know the reasoning behind all the different answers.... Ha sanyone been told exactly why their vet is telling them it is ok or not ok to ride? I'm NOT trying to start a vet debate! I'm just curious Stick out tounge

--
    17 Oct 2006 01:14 PM
    I was told no because it was hard on their system to get the shots so it's better just to let them rest and also they will sometimes get sore in the neck fron it so a day off is fine with me Smile

--
    17 Oct 2006 01:52 PM
    Because of the stress it causes on their bodies/systems. We have to give Hubby's mare cimetidine after any thing medical - she get ulcers from any medical stress. I've had many Vet over the years and all have said at least a day off, some said 2 days.

Way back when Sleeping Sickness shots came out (at least I pretty sure it was when they first came out as it's the earliest time I can remember ever knowing of them given) in the mid/late 50's, they were not to be worked at all for a week. But then the shots were ID, not the IM that they are today. They shaved a spot (about 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches) and the shot itself was given between the layers of the skin. It made a huge 'bump' that took a while to go down. Abcesses at the injection site were fairly common.

Think about how you feel after getting a tetanus or flu shot - well your horse is getting several at one time. How fussy kids are after getting their shots. Why shouldn't your horse also feel under the weather?

--
    17 Oct 2006 02:59 PM
    Why not just hang out with your horse and do some lateral & vertial flexions and call it a day.
    This happens sometimes and we should do what in the best interest of the horse and not ours and if you have always given the horse the day off- Why change things.
    I do understand about the weather, but you're the keeper, partner and the leader.
    Be patient,fair,clear and consistant with everything you do.
    I hope this helps.

--
    18 Oct 2006 12:06 PM
    I don't just to be safe--you've just put something into their systems that has the potential to cause probs, i.e allergic rx, etc. Even if you've never had a prob before, doesn't mean you might not now.
    Interesting note: my new vet gives the vaccines in the chest to avoid neck stiffness and the potential for scar tissue build up(causing stiffness on a regular basis)over years and years of neck injections. He says dressage riders especially prefer this mode as even the slightest difference in neck flexion hurts their ride/score!!

--
    18 Oct 2006 12:12 PM
    it depends. We don't ride on vaccination days, just to be safe. But if you're just doing something easy like a trail ride then I wouldn't worry about it.

--
    18 Oct 2006 12:32 PM
    Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Turns out that I was able to rearrange my schedule despite the weather and give her the day off and just give her a nice grooming and some (more) treats. I've never had a problem with her yet so what ask for trouble! Thanks again!

--
    18 Oct 2006 03:07 PM
    I usually give Pee Wee the day off when he gets his shots. I'll turn him out when I can, but he's usually pretty out of it.

--
    25 Feb 2014 05:13 PM

It's good to give them a day or two off after there shots

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company