uterin tearing
Last Post 16 Apr 2006 01:53 AM by Nothinsweetr. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
15 Apr 2006 05:27 PM
    Hi,
    I'd like to know if anyone here has had a mare with a badly torn uterus after foaling. What was the reaction? Was there a lot of blood and did she act like she had colic?

What did you and your vet do to help the mare/

Thanks so much.

--
    15 Apr 2006 08:34 PM
    A few years ago, at the Arab Breeding farm where I worked, one of the young mares tore her uterine lining while foaling. I believe there was some blood and acting like colicking (i wasn't there for the delivery though) She had to be stalled and cleaned around there daily, she was hand walked like a week afterwards, and she was on a LOT of antibiotics and stuff. She was fine after a few weeks, and I believe was even deemed sound enough to be rebred, but her owner decided to not rebreed her for a few years, then get her rechecked to see if she was still okay. Granted, I was 13 and got left in charge of this mare and her colt (along with the 8 other mares and 1 stallion in the barn) for 4 days while the owner of the horses/barn was gone... Talk about a stressful time!! Especially hand walking a 4 yr old mare and her rambunctious colt... LOL it was an experience!! Wink Good thing I've always been responsible and a quick learner and been around horses since I was 5... still shouldnt have left me alone with the mare and foal right after she tore her uterus, but what can ya do?

Do you have a mare with a torn uterus?

--
    15 Apr 2006 10:12 PM
    Over the years I had two mares that tore. We lost both of them...... Frown
    Sure hope you do better.

--
    15 Apr 2006 11:41 PM
    If you think her uterus is rupturing it's a medical emergency and a vet should be called immediately. A ruptured uterus is almost always fatal.

--
    16 Apr 2006 01:53 AM
    A ruptured uterus and a tear are different... tears are fixable, at least the mare I was around with a tear is fine now
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to
    Practical Horseman
    Subscribe to Practical Horseman
    Subscribe today
    and Save 72%

Subscribe

Give a Gift 
    Customer Service
    Name:
    Address 1: Address 2:
    City: State:
    ZIP:
    Email:
    Subscribe to Equus
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company