Quivering Lower Lip
Last Post 22 Jun 2006 09:55 PM by Lady_Steed. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
21 Jun 2006 10:03 PM
    Hi all.....I've noticed recently that my 22 yr old QH geldings lower lip quivers slightly. Does anyone know if this is normal or should I be calling the vet? Thanks.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Jun 2006 10:15 PM
    I would base it on whether or not there are any other disturbing symptoms. (I've only seen mine do it when they are either very content or tired out.) You could always call the vet and just have a quick phone consult if you're concerned. And hopefully they won't think you're a crazy horse mom Wink

--
    21 Jun 2006 10:19 PM
    Crazy Horse Mom is already stamped on my forehead that's why I like to check before calling for non life threatening symptoms! Grin

I'm glad you said "content" because yesterday I was rubbing his face almost putting him to sleep and I noticed the quiver was more pronounced.

Thanks!

--
    21 Jun 2006 11:01 PM
    Our horse Kansas has done it as long as we've had him.... as long as he's relaxed. As the other poster said, if there are no other symptoms I wouldn't worry.

--
    22 Jun 2006 12:55 PM
    Hi...

My boyfriend's 10 yo mule does this as well. As long as he's just standing there, not chewing or eating, the bottom lip kind of quivers back and forth. It's odd, but there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with him.

--
    22 Jun 2006 01:37 PM
    If you notice, too, with older horses, they tend not to have so much control over their bottom lip. When they eat food can just dribble out, same with water, and (at least I've noticed this) when the are working you can see their lower lip move when they are trotting especially. So it's not a sign of an illness, but something that tends to come with age, I think.

--
    22 Jun 2006 01:52 PM
    I've seen droopy lower lips on horses of all ages when they are relaxed, but I've never noticed quivering. I will have to look, there is a "drooper" in my current barn. But if it were my horse doing it, I think I'd just keep an eye on it for a while if that's the only thing you notice different (no drooling, etc.).

--
    22 Jun 2006 03:33 PM
    My QH has a droopy lip, he only quivers it when a fly is trying to land on his lip, or when we play with it. It's fun to play with! Stick out tounge He's only 6, and he only droops his lip when he's in a stall, and very relaxed. Other than that i see no problems.

--
    22 Jun 2006 05:14 PM
    I like to look for the horse's lower lip to droop and quiver cuz then I know I am doing something right!! LOL!

--
    22 Jun 2006 09:36 PM
    Thanks everyone! He has no other symptoms so I am going to let myself believe that he is content!

--
    22 Jun 2006 09:55 PM
    My Momma said, getting old isn't for sissys.........and that applies to horses too........It is iokay lots of older horses do it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to The Trail Rider
    Subscribe to Trail Rider
    Get 2 Free
    Trial Issues +
    a Free Gift!

Subscribe

Give a Gift  
    Customer Service
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company