Why Do Horses kick bite and chase each other?
Last Post 12 Jul 2007 09:03 PM by filly_horse. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
12 Jul 2007 07:39 AM
    Why Do Horses kick bite and chase each other.???
    Do horse have language to talk??

--
    12 Jul 2007 07:51 AM
    Horses are herd animals and need to establish and periodically re-establish their hierarchy or pecking order in the herd. By showing aggression such as biting, kicking etc. they are showing their level of dominance and where they stand in the herd. Horse do have their own language. They use their voice, different whinny's and neighs each mean something different whether it be they are calling for another horse, warning of danger or simply squealing out of delight. Horses ears and body posture are also used to communicate with one another. Ears pinned back are signs of an angry or unhappy horse, pricked forward are signs of an alert, inquisitive horse and so on.

--
    12 Jul 2007 08:15 AM
    That is The way they talk. Body language is the Number one communicator between horse-horse and a horse-human relationship. Horses can get EXTREMLY senseitive to this. My horse Is The dominant horse out of th 40ish horses in his pasture. All I saw him do was just look at a horse across the herd like "are you sure you wanna do that" and the horse turned and walked away. Thats Why Horses can get so dull to humans because most of us have poor body language towards the horse. For example when you walk towards you horse in his stall and he starts off looking at you with two eys and ears and then starts to turn his head that is a sign you have crossed a comfort zone. If you just keep walking and dont pick up on that your horse may turn his head all the way around or turn a give you his butt. If you notice and stop and back up a few steps so the horse can regain "oh ok I'm safe mode" and then aproach and retreat as nessecary It build trust and confidence for your horse. Haha donn't mind me I just went off on a Parelli spin sorry! Smile

--
    12 Jul 2007 11:09 AM
    Nicely summed up by the above posters so I will take it one step further to say there are two types of "lead" horses.

1. The Alpha dominant horse that establishes its "Boss Hoss" leadership by biting, ear pinning, and kicking.

Depending just how hateful that Alpha horse is, those methods can range in degree of agression from lip-nipping, to a couple "gentle" bite marks on someone's neck or butt, to downright laying another horse wide open with a well-placed bite or kick.

2. There is also such a thing as a "passive leader". That "alpha- type horse will generally go along his own peaceful way, unless someone else gets really stupid, or if the other horses are confused about something and need guidance.

I know this to be fact because:

1. I have read Mark Rashid's books and learned about the passive leader from him.

2. Mark Rashid's books is when I discovered that my little Arab is my Passive Leader.

The TWH that I've owned for 17 years has always been the alpha-dominant horse and now that he's coming 21, he doesn't get near as nasty about it as he used to Stick out tounge

I have seen my "Passive Leader" in action many times. Either when a bad storm is coming that always make my alpha horse goes nuts, so the others run to the passive horse for comfort and guidance, or when another horse is sick or injured and I keep it in a small pasture with my passive horse to babysit.

When my young horse nearly ripped his hoof off and punctured a secondary artery, I watched my Passive horse take his head back from the water tub without drinking, so the injured horse could have water first.

Once that injured horse was well and back to playing, the Passive horse said "now that you're better, all bets are off, I get my water first".

My Alpha horse would have never done that. He would've stood by the water tub all day to keep the injured horse from drinking if he'd been able to.

Herd dynamics is a wonderful and amazing thing to watch. Take a chair to the fence someday when you have time and just watch and observe Cool

Oh and there is one more type of "alpha/passive leader horse". That would be the human and that is how we intelligent, logical Beings manage to control our horses. How we choose to use our dominant role over them is a matter of choice.

I prefer to be their Passive Leader. My crew are very good at understanding all my hand signals and pointing/grunting, and "lip nipping". Yessss, I do that too Wink

When the vet is done giving shots and exams, turns around while getting in her truck and says "you should know that you have FOUR of the most well-mannered and polite horses I have ever worked on at one time." I know I am doing things pretty much the right way Smile

--
    12 Jul 2007 11:37 AM
    two words - pecking order

--
    12 Jul 2007 09:01 PM
    Because they lack the appendages necessary for a slapfest? Grin

--
    12 Jul 2007 09:03 PM
    Well said. I love Mark Rashid's stuff too.

--
    12 Jul 2007 10:19 PM
    Reading your post reminded me of the two years it took of me approaching and retreating before Star gave me her trust. I always knew the minute I crossed "that line" and backed up a bit and clucked at her till she looked back toward me again. I never studied Parelli though, that was just sort of what came naturally to me.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to Spin to Win Rodeo
    Subscribe to Spin To Win Rodeo
    Get 2 Free Trial Issues + a Free Gift!   Subscribe Give a Gift
    Customer Service
    Name:
    Address 1: Address 2:
    City: State:
    ZIP:
    Email:
    Subscribe to Equus
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company