stinging nettles and goats?
Last Post 22 Aug 2006 05:27 PM by 921048. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
22 Aug 2006 05:04 PM
    how best to kill them (nettles, not goats)? they have an affinity for hubby's ankles! (for once i seem to be lucky, and i'm the one in sandals all the time!) can you mow them to death? they are everywhere, spraying would be an amazing chore though he might decide it's worth it. Wink he is also wondering if goats might eat it. i've got lots of weeds if goats would snack on them, including a few of those milkweed plants. ever since i posted about milkweed in hay i see it everywhere.... thankfully sparsely on my property. and if we got goats (and the horses tolerated them) would i need to cover pipe gates with mesh to keep them in? the fence is 2x4 mesh, 5'high.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Aug 2006 05:23 PM
    Our BO is a commercial goat breeder, who just rents us pasture space. We rotate the grazing between species, because the goats eat things like stinging nettles and burdock that the horses don't touch, and it's easier than mowing. Our "gates" are the metal pannels you use to make a round pen, and the goats slide right through and go exploring. Her hubby welded co-rod onto some, to narrow the spaces, and they climb it like a ladder (really quite funny to watch, since they're not my goats). I'd think mesh might work better. They don't climb the mesh pannels, because they're not stable like the co-rod is.
    For your hubby: when you find a patch with your ankle (happening to me a lot this year) DO NOT under any circumstances touch your skin. Go directly to the nearest water source and rinse for about 5 minutes, and then just let it air dry. Our water comes up only a few degrees above freezing, and I'm sure the numbing effect helps too, but this way I've had minimal or no rash. Also, if you react anyways, Corona ointment under a bandage and left alone for about a week works wonders!
    S.

--
    22 Aug 2006 05:27 PM
    thanks for the tip, I'll tell him! (and file it away for my inevitable sting.) hmm, they'll eat stinging nettles and burdocks, goats are sounding better, especially if we end up with some leftover fence...

*smacks head - with good hand* duh! yes my horses tolerate goats, the last BO had 2 free-roaming. king was buddies with them especially at first when pitch thought he was studly.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to Horse & Rider
    Subscribe to Horse & Rider
    Subscribe
    today and get a
    Free Gift!

Subscribe

First Name: Last Name:
    Address 1: Address 2:
    City: State:
    ZIP: Email:
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company