Need pictures of different worms
Last Post 30 Mar 2007 12:24 PM by VannysMom. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
30 Mar 2007 11:49 AM
    I know it sound a little bizzare but bear with me. My son just called me. He works with rodeo stock. He notice that a mare he pulled out of the pasture(50 - 75 acres or so) is thin. He put her by herself to eat because he thought maybe they were pushing her around. He noticed in her manure she has worms. He said they are red and about the lenght of his finger nail. I have no idea what worm is what. Does any one have a link I can get that shows what different worms look like so I can give it to him. I've never had a horse that had an obvious worm problem like this.

They get wormed every 2 months with ivermectrin. Does any one know what this type of worm is so I can direct him in the right direction. Remember this is rodeo stock not your everyday stable horse. They don't get treated the same as we would our own horses. To them it's livestock but they try very hard to keep them healthy. It's their livleyhood.

--
    30 Mar 2007 11:55 AM
    Here's a site that I just pulled up. It has pictures and tells you what each worm does. Even though they are livestock to them they should change the wormer around. Worms get use to a certian type of wormer or rather medicine if you don't change. Hope this helps some.

http://www.animalherbcompany.com/ar..._worms.htm

--
    30 Mar 2007 12:03 PM
    This site is actually better and from the pictures and what you described it sounds like bot.

http://www.horsehealthdewormer.com/...teinfo.htm

--
    30 Mar 2007 12:03 PM
    hey i found this on a website.....Cyathastomes (small red worms). These damaging parasites burrow into the lining of the cecum & colon and can remain there for a minimum of 45-60 days or as long as 2 to 3 years. When they finally emerge, they leave behind cellular debris which is the time they cause sickness to the horse - typically in winter & spring. Symptoms may include cow pat manure or scours, mild recurring colic, lethargy, rapid weight loss, swollen legs, loss of appetite.

According to the information sheet from the NSW Department of Agriculture, moxidectin is the only drug which is effective against them. However information from American expert Dr David Laird of Texas says that a double dose of fenbendazole for 5 days is effective. He explains that this drug has a very low toxicity level and is therefore safe to use in this way. He also says that several worm drugs have extremely high and varying toxicity levels which is why the dosage rate is critical. He also points out that faecal counts will not show up the encysted stages of small red worms also known as small strongyles or Cyathastomes.

http://www.herbalhorse.com/articles...worms.html

sorry couldn't find any pictures but thought this infomation might help

--
    30 Mar 2007 12:19 PM
    Thanks for the links I appreciate it. The second one is great.

--
    30 Mar 2007 12:24 PM
    Thanks. I'm hoping he'll text me a picture of the worms so I can see for myself. Don's really good at taking care of the horses. If he finds problems, I'm his first call. Grin
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to Horse & Rider
    Subscribe to Horse & Rider
    Subscribe
    today and get a
    Free Gift!

Subscribe

First Name: Last Name:
    Address 1: Address 2:
    City: State:
    ZIP: Email:
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company