Join now or Sign in to comment
Removing bot fly eggs
Last Post 17 Aug 2007 12:54 AM by boosiler. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
14 Aug 2007 10:45 PM
    So botfly season has returned once again Stick out tounge

I regularly use a botfly knife to remove the eggs, but with 3 horses it is rather time consuming.

A few years ago someone told me about using nail polish remover to remove the eggs.
    Has anyone ever done this ?
    Does it work ?
    And, most importantly, is it safe to use on horses ?

--
    15 Aug 2007 05:54 AM
    I'v heard that you can use baby oil to smother the eggs so they won't hatch and it also prevents from newly layed eggs from attaching it self to the hair because its to slipery. I think i saw something about this in Equus this month. I havn't tried it so i don't know if it works but i say its werth a try. Let me know what happens.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Aug 2007 07:23 AM
    Bots = Ivermectin. Time to de-worm!

Nail polish remover is acetone; a carcenogenic drying agent. I wouldn't use it on MY horses. A block of pumice or commercial bot removal block (essentially the same) strips the eggs quickly. Just make sure to de-bot far from a feeding area so the horse doesn't wind up ingesting them anyhow.

Baby oil, vaseline, etc. only works to drive out actual bot LARVAE that have burrowed into skin by cutting off their ability to respirate. ~FH

--
    15 Aug 2007 09:22 AM
    Thankfully, my guys don't get many. I use either my bot knife or the Slick 'N Easy grooming block which I love. Grin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Aug 2007 12:59 PM
    I have heard that putting warm water on the eggs, makes them come off much easier because the eggs think the horse's tongue is licking them Stick out tounge

Maybe if you wipe all the legs down first, then by the time you get back to the first leg the eggs will be ready to come off.

I have discovered on accident that I have a lot less problems getting bot eggs off the lower legs and fetlock area just by keeping the hair cut really short.

I am having to practically shave fetlock hair and leg hair below the knees because of scratches. I am amazed that I don't see near as many eggs as I should be seeing, plus they are much easier to scrape off when the hair is short - at least that's how it works for me Stick out tounge

--
    15 Aug 2007 01:13 PM
    Thanks all for your input.

meg, I tried the babyoil last year - not effective, just made the dust stick to their legs Stick out tounge

FH, not to worry, I do regular/required deworming, but I still try to eliminate as many of those eggs from their legs as possible. And thanks for the warning about the nail polish remover - I had my doubts & that's why I asked - definitely will NOT be using that shortcut Stick out tounge

And sprag, I have one of those Slick'n'Easy blocks - never thought of using it for bots - Thanks (much less chance of nicking the skin with that block Wink)

--
    15 Aug 2007 10:53 PM
    I use a disposable razor. Works great. Laugh

--
    17 Aug 2007 12:54 AM
    I second the razor for the eggs, or a pocket knife (sharp). The blocks work great for shedding hair, but I never got many eggs off with them, personally. Maybe I just don't have the touch.....
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company