Feeding Goat Milk Replacer
Last Post 30 Apr 2008 07:07 AM by Anonymous. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
20 Apr 2008 04:53 AM

Have any of you fed Goat Milk Replacer to your horse(s) and if so, why did you feed it? How much did you feed? Did it help?

A woman advised me to feed it to my horse. She said an old vet of hers advised her to feed it to horses that tended to be nervous or anxious and that she still feeds it to her horses when she takes them to shows - starts about a week before they go. 

Tried to google it but found nothing so thought I would ask here and see if anyone else has heard of it.

Thanks!

--
    22 Apr 2008 11:01 AM

That's a good question. I know goat milk is suppose to relax you, but I personally have never heard about giving it to horses. 

--
    23 Apr 2008 04:55 AM

I had not heard that goats milk relaxes you - that is interesting. I have to go to the feed store today so I am going to get a label off a bag and ask them about it.

--
    23 Apr 2008 05:04 AM

Let us know how it turns out!!!

--
    25 Apr 2008 03:54 AM

I chickened out Confused The guy at the feed store says he sells it to lots of people who feed it to horses but didn't know why they feed it or how old the horses are. I read the bag and it does have guidelines for feeding it to foals but not older horses. The things that scared me were the 26% protein and in the list of ingredients it listed animal fat - everything else seemed fine. My vet is going to be out in the next few weeks so I am going to ask her about it.

--
    30 Apr 2008 07:07 AM

LOL  Of course it lists animal fat, it's goat milk..   I don't know about having more of a calming effect than any other type of milk does. But I can tell you that goat milk is great to use for babies, human or animal, who need supplementing. I was given a tiny pup (15oz at 8 weeks)  who should have weighed twice that at least. She had stopped developing at about the 3-4 week mark. The breeder supplemented her with nutrical and a baby mash of food but she was stagnating..   It happens, dunno why.. If they are given lots of tlc and fed often they will often come thru.. I gave her goat milk for 2 weeks along with her mash food as well as separately. She took off eating on her own at about 10 weeks.. She's 12 weeks now and weighs 30 oz. And is developing, finally starting to look like a doxie.  * I know this story has nothing to do with your question, but I just had to tell it. :)

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to
    Practical Horseman
    Subscribe to Practical Horseman
    Subscribe today
    and Save 72%

Subscribe

Give a Gift 
    Customer Service
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company