Overdue pregnant mares milk bag disappears???
Last Post 19 Jun 2008 04:25 AM by smw.horses. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
13 Jun 2008 05:20 AM

My friends 9 year old paint mare, who is a maiden, was due to foal on June 8. The mare was bred on July 3 2007, and confirmed pregnant by her vet 3 days later. By the 25 day rule we figure she was due June 8. The baby is still alive and kicking VERY hard every night around 10:00. On Saturday the 7th she was down on her side moaning, and we assumed this was it, but nope no baby. She had a good size udder two months ago but it had gone away. Two weeks ago she developed another good size bag, but it went away. She has shown signs of discomfort, always around the time the foal is kicking like crazy. As of the 8th her milk bag was gone, and remains that way. In all the research we have done it is detailed that the udder develops anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks before foaling. I have heard that a mare can foal anywhere from 330 days to 350 days, but we are a bit worried that now she is at 347 days and still no bag. You can definitely see the milk veins, her udder just seems to have dried right up. How likely is it that she will foal and not produce milk, or worse the much needed colostrum, and what happens then if we are not in an area that has any nurse mares??? Thanks for any help!!!

--
    13 Jun 2008 07:25 AM
    I have heard that some mares, maidens especially, end up not bagging until right at delivery even though the "standard" says it should be a week or so out.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I'm not a foaling expert.

--
    13 Jun 2008 09:37 AM

Even though she has bagged and lost it a few times? What about the fact that she is 5 days overdue?

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    13 Jun 2008 11:55 AM

First, let me state that I am by no means an expert on foaling.  But from my haunting of the marestare.com web site over the last two to three years I have picked up on some things Smile

• Maiden mares often do not follow the typical "rules" of foaling.  From what I've seen on marestare, they will often foal much after their due date. 
    • It is common for mares to bag up and then for it to go down, especially after a day of running around and grazing in the pasture.
    • Usually the back end is a better "show" for when foaling is imminent.  The tail will lose resistance and the back end will get loose and flabby. Often the interior of the vulva will turn a brighter red and there may be some visible blood.

Hope that helps you!  Keep us posted about your friend's mare.

--
    13 Jun 2008 08:20 PM

It is very common for bags to come and go. Maidens may not bag up unitl right before, or even AFTER, foaling. One of my maidens went 368 days this year, so "5 days overdue" is nothing ;) After all, they really don't have a due date, just an average day that you can say she's due around. My other maiden went 347. Oh, and these are minis, which tend to foal EARLIER than big horses! LOL My non-maiden only went 324. None of them had much of a bag until right before or after foaling. I could get drops of milk out of one for awhile, one I could get some hours before foaling, and the non-maiden, I never got any out (same with last year with her, until after she lost her foal)

Jessi

--
    14 Jun 2008 04:51 AM

First she is a long time from being overdue. If she has not foaled by July then she would then be into the "overdue" stages but going close to a full year is very normal for some horses.

Over the years I have seen that how much bag a mare develops before foaling depends on what she is getting for feed. A mare on straight alfalfa will bag up sooner then a mare on grass. Both will produce lots of milk.

As long as she is not loosing milk (it would show on her legs) things are fine. I have seen both maiden and older broodmares who do not bag until the day before foaling or right after. She has developed a good milk vein so I would not be worried there either.

I had a pair of mares that I bred 4 weeks apart. They foaled the same night.

My first foal was carried one week less then a year and was a filly.

--
    14 Jun 2008 07:54 AM

LOL I have you beat, mine were bred 6 weeks apart and foaled one night apart ;)

Jessi

--
    19 Jun 2008 04:25 AM

Big Smile

I am glad there are no more foals due here for a few years......!!

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to
    Practical Horseman
    Subscribe to Practical Horseman
    Subscribe today
    and Save 72%

Subscribe

Give a Gift 
    Customer Service
    Name:
    Address 1: Address 2:
    City: State:
    ZIP:
    Email:
    Subscribe to Equus
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company