Join now or Sign in to comment
Worming colts, or anything really...
Last Post 15 Jul 2009 05:49 PM by FloridaHorseman. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
09 Jul 2009 06:28 AM

This is a pretty basic question, but one that gets lots of different answers.  I will be getting a colt that just turned four months old June 26th, he has not been wormed.  We will be moving him in the next few days to a friend of mine to finish his weaning, and then out to my house.  I wanted to worm him at his birth barn, and leave the worms there.  What do you guys use to worm colts?  One vet in my area says strongid paste, one Shacklee soap (by the way, has anyone else heard of using that?), one says ivermectin, and some say oxibendazole.  I DON'T want to hurt this little guy, I have big plans of long trails in a few years, but what is safe, and what works best in foals? I know all are safe for adult horses, but many say not before 6 months.....which should I use???  Thank you!

--
    09 Jul 2009 01:57 PM

If you must worm your colt, use Strongid paste. It tends to be milder than other wormers, and it's approved for use on foals 4 weeks or older.

I tend to avoid worming until at least 6 months either way, just because it really isn't going to hurt them to wait. Unless you live in an area where heavy worm infestations are common, or the foal is being turned out and exposed to many other horses, the risk of them contracting serious parasite loads is pretty slim. 

--
    15 Jul 2009 02:19 PM

Thank you! I wormed with strongid, though I'm not sure how much the little booger got as it turns out he has and extraordinary talent of balling it up and spitting it out.  He was in with six adult horses that were not wormed regularly.  He is at a friend of mine's barn till the end of this week, and then will be moving home.  So far he is turning out to be my absolute dream come true. Thank you for the advice!

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Jul 2009 05:49 PM

You may also want to follow up your deworming with probiotics added to the colt's feed. Those insecticides can also kill off some necessary gut flora the little guy needs to properly digest his food. ~FH

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company