Join now or Sign in to comment
Natural barefoot trim vs no shoe trim
Last Post 21 Jun 2006 11:36 PM by 818432. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
20 Jun 2006 09:06 PM
    So I have really learned a lot from some of the recent posts and links to barefoot "natural" trim sites. And this lets me know just how little I know. My previous horse alwyas had shoes and I think I got to where I could tell good shoes from bad shoes. My new horse (Oscar)that I got in March came barefoot. (See picture in Constuctive Critiques-his feet are black, they just look grey from the sand.) He seems to have strong hooves and is certainly not bothered walking on our gravel paths or by the rocky pastures. I'd like to keep him healthily barefoot. One of farriers who comes to the stable has trimmed him 2X. When I got him he had a lot more heel and a lot more frog. It is just starting to dawn on me that he may be trimming him as if he is going to put a shoe on, which may not be best for staying barefoot. He doesn't put much bevel on the edge so the edges get chipped and he is flared a little. On the other hand, he is stalled half days and turned out half. He is a good farrier but I'm concerned that if he just trims like he is going to shoe then he may not stay sound barefoot. Is that a reasonable concern? What else should I look for? Or does anyone know of a good natural trimmer in the Northern Kentucky area?

--
    20 Jun 2006 09:18 PM
    I'm not going to go public with what I think on the natural trim as it could be an outrage. PM me if you want info, natural trim message board link, and ideas for a natural trimmer Wink

--
    20 Jun 2006 11:18 PM
    From what I have been told by another poster there are about 6 guys that do the Natural trim thing out here. (I'm in Louisville)--will try to get that info to you if other poster doesn't see this.

Good luck finding a good farrier...I am STILL looking and have been out here for 8 months now. Smile(not doing the Natural thing, btw)

--
    21 Jun 2006 02:30 AM
    I would definately want nice bevel to prevent chipping. You could ask the farrier to please tweak this up.. Or you can do it yourself. Wink I would also want to be sure the heels are down(back to the widest part of frog) and that he isn't trimming off sole. And to get the flares addressed better. They do take time to grow out, but keeping them out of ground contact(pressure) is very important.

here is a link to the yahoo BF group I really love.

barefoothorsecare

--
    21 Jun 2006 02:33 AM
    A horse left barefoot needs a little more foot than a horse that is shod, so make sure your farrier doens't take off TOO much... but you also don't want him to not take off enough.

Off topic, but where in relation to Lexington are you? We are moving to Ky later this year or early next year, and I want to be around Lexington, but I"m not too familiar with the cities around it. LOVE Lexington, but being outside it is much more economical Wink

Jessi

--
    21 Jun 2006 09:46 AM
    I guess I have to be really diplomatic-I don't think farriers care for it when you tell them how to trim. He has cut the sole off almost flat, that is what is concerning me, and my horse is pretty close to needing a trim.
    I am about an hour+ north of Lexington in Erlanger, KY. I don't know a whole lot about Lexington, but even Georgetown would not be that far.

--
    21 Jun 2006 09:53 AM
    If you have photos of his feet, we have some people around here, including a farrier, who could offer specific suggestions! The farrier search is no fun. I moved a year ago and while I've now got what seems to be a decent farrier, he is not the phenomenal one I was spoiled with before so I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open too.

--
    21 Jun 2006 12:56 PM
    I sent you a PM with contact info for a farrier based in Woodford County. I know he's not taking new clients, but he knows the area and is an amazing farrier and can probably give you the name of a good farrier in your area. It's worth a try. I would trust him with any horse!

--
    21 Jun 2006 12:57 PM
    I'm the other poster Horseygirl was talking about. We are natural Barefoot. My hubby is in the AANCHP certification program. Here is link.... Also PM me - happy to talk!

http://www.aanhcp.org/page50.html

--
    21 Jun 2006 04:21 PM
    Here are a couple of sites for you...

http://barefoothorse.com/

http://www.aanhcp.org/

--
    21 Jun 2006 11:36 PM
    Thanks, I really appreciate the ideas. Unfortunately, I am going out of town for a few days. I hope when I get back I can take some pics of his feet and get opinions. That would be awesome!
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company