Join now or Sign in to comment
What kind of lunge rope is best?
Last Post 20 Jul 2007 12:53 PM by blueyedhorse. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Jul 2007 11:55 PM
    I want to buy a lunge line and never realized there were so many different types. Which is best, flat cotton, flat padded cotton, flat nylon, or round? OR is this one of those things that just comes down to price and personal preference? TIA Grin

--
    20 Jul 2007 12:18 AM
    Well, I have three longelines...Lol!!! And I like them all!

One is just a plain flat nylon one; this one is small enough to coil up and take with me on rides; it's my 'just in case' longeline; as in just in case I have to get off and work the snot out of the horse!

I also have a thick cotton longeline (the rolled kind), and I like that one as a desensitization long line.

And I just recently bought a flat cotton line, that has a 'bungee' cord add on with the hook on it; it has a ring that attaches to the main part of the line, so if I am longing with a bridle on, all I have to do is put the 'cord' around and behind the bit, or whatever, and longe without having to have a halter on; it makes the horse feel less clausterphobic because of the 'bungee cord' on the hook, so they seem to pull less. My boy doesn't pull, but some of the other horses I work with do, so it is a 'relief' on my arms to use a lead that they seem more comfortable and responsive with!

--
    20 Jul 2007 01:03 AM
    I have two lungelines.
    One is the flat nylon - it's very light, very smooth AND I hate it - never, ever use one of those without gloves Stick out tounge
    Also, if you are lungeing outside on a windy day the lightness of the nylon has the line flapping crazily in the wind. Smile

The second is the flat padded cotton - it's a bit heavier than the nylon but I like the feel of the padded 'stops' (makes it very easy to let out a little line at a time) and, I think, helps if you happen to have a horse that pulls. And, although one should always wear gloves when lungeing, this one is more forgiving if you happen to forget the gloves Wink

I also use a lungeline attachment that clips to each side of the bit so that you don't have to change the configuration of the line when you change sides.

--
    20 Jul 2007 01:55 AM
    I like the flat cotton ones, they come with a disc-like stop on the end of the line and a snap on the other end. I like it because it' lightweight and strong. The disc on the end makes it easy to hold on to the end. I use it with a y shaped piece that attaches it to the bit rings or halter rings on each side. Just personal preference. I don't like the ones with a chain on the end. You don't always need it and some lunge lines don't let you remove it. Linda O
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Jul 2007 11:56 AM
    Thanks for the info everyone! Grin I found a flat padded cotton lunge line at Jeffers Equine and one of the Y lunging straps. Hahaha }-] !!! Vannah doesn't know what she's in for the next time she acts up when I want to ride!

--
    20 Jul 2007 12:40 PM
    Long lunge lines are the best ones Wink Most are 25ft and I use a 30ft rope.

I think it comes down to personal preferance though. I've used the flat nylon ones and they hurt (sharp when a horse pulls on you!), but they are lighter and have a good feel (to me). I've used essentially a nylon leadline (custom made) and while it was comfortable to hold it was heavy and tended to drag in the middle or flop around a lot. Haven't found one I really love yet :/
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Jul 2007 12:53 PM
    Thx, QHAA! Cool, the one I'm looking at buying does happen to be 30'! I've never lunged Vannah, so I don't know if she'd pull or not. From the stunt she pulled when I was trying to load her onto the trailer to move to the new facility (dragged me across the driveway to see the BO's horses), I would guess that she will. Sunny is actually not too bad about pulling since I got the rope halter from Sunset Halters. Now I need one for Vannah, too.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company