Join now or Sign in to comment
Keratex vs Durasole
Last Post 13 Apr 2010 01:12 PM by Equi Search. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
07 Apr 2010 12:52 PM
    Athene just came up slightly lame, and fortunately my farrier was due to come over a day later. He said Athene might be sensitive to the dirt balls that get packed into the horses' shoes at this time of the year, when it's not particularly wet nor dry. The balls trap excess water against the sole, making the soles soft, and the balls themselves put pressure on the soles when the horse steps on them, resulting in a horse who's sore and lame. He suggested picking her hooves 3xday until it gets drier, and getting either Durasole or Keratex to harden the soles and minimize the water absorption.

My question: Has anyone used the Keratex Hoof Gel, and can tell me something about its use? The Durasole is only for the sole, and seems really toxic with warnings about eye or skin irritation, or even breathing any of the fumes. Yikes. I ordered the Keratex from SmartPak--won't get here until Friday--and I wonder what you guys think of it's effectiveness and the way it's used. It was about twice the cost of the Durasole, but will be worth it if it's easier to use and won't be as toxic. Any comments?

--
    08 Apr 2010 04:25 AM
    Keratex is much better than durasole. Don't know if you ordered the Keratex Hardener or the Keratex Gel. I suggest you start with the Hardener. Apply it to the sole, as well as the hoof wall. This will toughen and strengthen the sole and hoof while also managing moisture.

Later, once the sole is all sound, you could switch to the Keratex Gel to continue managing moisture. 

I have used this approach with my horses, and my clients for years, and it works great.

--
    08 Apr 2010 12:34 PM
    I need more ideas. UPS will not ship the Keratex via air--the Keratex must be considered a hazardous liquid--so rather than getting here tomorrow, it won't arrive until next Wed. That's a week away. Any ideas about how to help manage the dirt balls until then, other than picking her hooves 3xday, as I'm doing now?

--
    10 Apr 2010 07:47 AM

[quote user="48northfarm"]I need more ideas. [/quote] 

Do you have any horse boots Athene can wear for turnout?

If horse boots are not an option, have you considered sealing her feet up with duct tape?

Hope this helps!

--
    10 Apr 2010 08:34 AM
    I do not have boots for her, and they'd be too expensive for short-term use.

The duct tape is an idea, since it'd do basically the same thing as pads, something my farrier said was an option of last resort. I'll examine that to see if I could minimize the obvious faults. BTW, she does have shoes on, something that would interfere with both boots and duct tape.

I plan on longeing her briefly today to see if she's shown any improvement since I started picking her hooves 3xday. 

Thanks for the ideas!

--
    10 Apr 2010 09:14 AM

I just ordered some Keratex from SmartPak per my farrier's recommendation too.  I am not a foot goop applier and firmly believe most of it doesn't do a darn thing, so I asked him if there was anything that actually makes a real difference.  He agreed that most of the goops don't really do anything, but said Keratex is the only one that he has seen make a real difference so I am going to try it.

How about spraying some Pam or putting vaseline or something on her soles so dirt doesn't stick?  Not sure if that would work or not...

--
    10 Apr 2010 09:42 AM
    GOOD idea, the Pam. Worth a try. I'll still pick 3xday, but the spray may help in between pickings.

--
    10 Apr 2010 03:16 PM
    Although Pam might sound like a good idea, I would recommend against it. Pam is canola oil which, like many hoof treatments that use petroleum based oils, actually softens the sole and the hoof wall. But, if you decide to use it, you need to plan to remove it completely before using the Keratex because the Pam will coat the sole, clogging the equivalent of the pores, which will keep the Keratex from penetrating and doing what it does. The way to remove the Pam, or anything else you may have used, is with acetone. Available at any hardware store. Put it on a rag and wipe the hoof or sole (wherever you put it), then you're good to go. This is a one time only situation, just to get rid of the other contaminants.

Use acetone, not finger nail polish because the finger nail polish generally also has oils in it for the cuticle, which causes the same problem as the Pam.

Hope this helps.

--
    10 Apr 2010 04:26 PM
    Thanks for the info. I haven't used any Pam or Vaseline yet, and I won't. I'll just keep picking the hooves 3xday until I get the Keratex on Wed. Athene's sire, Rumbero, has the same soft sole problem when it gets wet in TX, where he lives, though excessive wetness is not often a factor in TX.

--
    10 Apr 2010 04:30 PM

I believe TuffStuff for hooves is primarily acetone -- you could try that too, perhaps?  

--
    10 Apr 2010 04:41 PM
    The next few days here in WA are forecasted to be pretty dry, so I'm hoping just the picking will do enough until the Keratex gets here. By the time I got the TuffStuff, I'd have gotten the Keratex. Thanks, though.

--
    11 Apr 2010 04:06 AM
    Thanks for jumping in here. Unfortunately, Tuff Stuff is basically a varnish that completely seals whatever it is put on. Although it makes things look nice and shiny, sealing the hoof traps moisture inside, which leads to more softening. And, in the case where she wants to use Keratex, the Tuff Stuff will also block the Keratex from being able to penetrate the sole or the hoof. If Tuff Stuff is applied, it too, will need to be removed with acetone.

--
    13 Apr 2010 01:12 PM
    The vet just visited to exam Athene for her lameness. The culprit is not sore soles--or not primarily that--but a tweak to her RF fetlock. When longed, her lameness was VERY subtle--she's getting better--but still there. However, a flex test was positive for her RF fetlock. The vet suggested 10 days of stall rest and 6 days of bute, to which I asked for pasture rest as an alternative. He agreed to that, but lengthened the rest time to 2 weeks and eliminated the bute. The bute would make her feel better, and if she had room to move, the bute would allow her to do that so she gets no bute for pasture rest.

He'll check her in 2 weeks, at which time he'll do an adjustment to Juno's sacrum before I start riding her again, after her nearly-one-year-long recovery for a shoulder strain.

So, now the Keratex is a moot point. It's due to arrive tomorrow, and I'll refuse the delivery and send it back unopened. Whew, a few bucks saved. The vet visit was only $115, also. I'm skating today!
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company