Join now or Sign in to comment
Sunflower seeds in grain
Last Post 22 Aug 2010 09:42 AM by Frizzle. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
03 Nov 2007 02:24 PM

Ok was told by the farrier to add sunflower seeds to grain to help with hoofs and respirtory (spell). It's actually working - the oil is ok to do but exspensive. I use the black sunflower seeds and now I'm going to stick with that becuase the horses love to chomp them and the shell ones are more exspensive.

I asked my vet and they said it was true and old secret for horsemanship - I never heard of this but the results are great and Miss Abby was having issues with couch and has stopped - her's was hay dust. Mr Laddie;s hoofs are chipping as much now and have strenghtened - we stated this three cuttings ago at six week intervolts. Anyone else out here experiencing Sunflower seed greatness - PS they are not to be subtracted to the grain amount - just add a cup per graining each day, my vet said.

Just wondering if this is known. So far everyone I told has started doing this and didn't tell their farrier and has seen improvements.

--
    03 Nov 2007 08:46 PM

I feed BOSS as well, the horses love it and since mine don't get much in the way of grain it helps give them a happy meal without me over feeding them. Great way to get some natural oil into them without the mess of oil, plus no processing!

--
    04 Nov 2007 07:48 AM

My Miss Abby gets GrowNWin plus Sunflower seeds and Mr Laddie gets a Mill mix to fatten him up - you should have seen the look on the mills face when asked for sunflowerseeds to be added but this mix is special for gaining weight and adding minerals to his needs - found out Miss Abby was um, acting like a PIG and not a horse ! and chacing him off - she's leraning to share now - grumpy but we're getting thru it.

didn't think of the mess factor - your right

--
    04 Nov 2007 08:28 AM

I tried feeding these for a month and did not noice any change at all to the horses that were getting them.

--
    04 Nov 2007 09:24 AM

I'm on third farrier so that is 38 weeks of sunflower seeds - I can see the difference on the hoofs, remember I'm on for some time and I have a horse that is known for cracked hoofs and now they are stronger - I don't really see a shiner coat or a gleam in their eyes just nicer condition in their hoofs.

--
    04 Nov 2007 12:43 PM

I fed BOSS all last winter and liked the results. Hooves were great and my gelding, who has always been itchy in the winter had no itching, rub marks or snarled up tail.

I've been told flax seed would be even better because it has Omega 3 & 6. Sunflower only has one, can't remember which. I'm not sure if I'll switch, grinding those seeds every morning doesn't sound appealing when I saw such good results from BOSS. 

--
    05 Nov 2007 11:56 AM

My horse has been eating sunflower seeds since he was a yearling.  He has fabulous feet, and a great coat.  I only feed one cup a day but he has gotten two cups in the past.  The only thing I recomend is to find out if the seeds have been chemically treated.  Alot of seed companys gear there product to home owners for bird watching.  They spray the seeds with a chemical that inhibits the seeds growth, this chemical can be harmful to your horses.  I get organic untreated seeds but they are hard to find I have to drive about an hour or so to get them.  Also if you don't seal the bags or put them in an air proof container bugs hatch.  I can fit a 40lb bag of seeds in a dog food container that has wheels. Seeds are the way to go though.

--
    05 Nov 2007 05:49 PM

I have not really used BOSS for my horses, but have used them for my goaties for years, and love the results...gets rid of itchy dry skin, bad flaky feet, and eventually gives a really nive sheen to the coat...that comes a bit down the line though; winter time isn't the time you'll notice the sheen...lol! Well, you may, and you will notice it more if you groom consistantly.

--
    21 Aug 2010 12:02 PM

Were can you find the seeds, does it matter what kind..can you give them to the horse with shells and all?! I really want to try this!! Smile

--
    21 Aug 2010 12:14 PM

Holy cannoli; another old thread resurrected from the dead! :-)

Appygurl103, I do not recommend feeding your horse black oil sunflower seeds. They are high in Omega 6s (which can cause inflammation) and some vets believe that they can cause impactions. None of this has been proven, but it's much safer to go with something like flax seed that does not carry those risks. You can feed flax seed whole and unground, and it helps improve hoof and coat quality.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Aug 2010 01:29 PM

[quote user="Frizzle"]I do not recommend feeding your horse black oil sunflower seeds. They are high in Omega 6s (which can cause inflammation) and some vets believe that they can cause impactions. None of this has been proven...[/quote]

All things in moderation...

I've found mixing in just 1 cup of BOSS to daily grain rations consistently provides benefits that outweigh any of my concerns about elevated Omega 6 levels. That might be a concern for a senior horse or one prone to arthritis and fed large quantities of BOSS. But overall there are more detrimental ingredients in commonly processed feed grains than the Omega 6 levels in BOSS. The BOSS husks also do a nice job of scraping accumulated sand from the horse's gut. Tractor Supply usually carries 40# - 50# bags and sells them as bird feed rather than horse feed. I've been using BOSS for many years and have never encountered any problems directly associated with it.~FH

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Aug 2010 04:18 PM

If folks are insistent on feeding BOSS, be sure you do NOT buy black oil sunflower seeds that have "bird koting" on them.  It will say on the bag if it does.

Yes BOSS is very high in Omega-6 which aggravates inflammation.  One of my horses is insulin resistant and it really exploded his arthritis issues, so BOSS is out of the question for him.

I prefer to feed 1/2 cup daily of Omega-3 Horseshine that has the appropriate ratio of Omega-3' to 6's.  It has worked miracles on the I-R horse's hooves --- they are stronger now than they've ever been.  He is now barefoot and can go down the road without ouching for the first time in his life unless he was wearing shoes.

--
    22 Aug 2010 08:24 AM

Thanks for that information, Frizzle. I was just considering adding this into my geldings diet - but we are currently working on maintenance for an injury he has, and the last thing I need is any more inflammation!

--
    22 Aug 2010 09:06 AM
    I also recommend flax seed or flax seed oil.  Another little known fact about it is that many people have found it to be extremely beneficial to joint health!  

--
    22 Aug 2010 09:42 AM

[quote user="BrittG"]

Thanks for that information, Frizzle. I was just considering adding this into my geldings diet - but we are currently working on maintenance for an injury he has, and the last thing I need is any more inflammation!

[/quote]

You're welcome! Flax would be great for your guy, as it is high in Omega 3s, which help reduce inflammation. Yes

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company