Ariat half-chap zippers: Argh!
Last Post 12 Dec 2011 01:31 PM by Gailforce. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
04 Dec 2011 03:29 PM

I have the Ariat close contact half chaps.  Bought them last spring, and liked them for awhile, but now the zippers keep sliding down while I ride.  I make sure the zipper is in the locked position, and have tried other things short of taping them down, to no avail.  I have wide calves, so I don't if that makes it worse; the only other rider at the barn who owns a pair has very slim calves, and she doesn't have the problem.  Anybody have any ingenious ideas for keeping the zippers up?  And why does the right one do it more than the left one?!?

Onyxheart

--
    04 Dec 2011 07:51 PM
    I suspect the problem IS your wide calves, and one side slips more than the other b/c one of your calves is bigger than the other. The width of your calves is probably causing the zipper pull to unlock. If they locked when you got them, but don't lock now, you may have the same problem I had when I started riding again after a 30 year hiatus. My first pair of dressage boots became too tight and the zipper was difficult to close due to my calf muscles growing as my riding got more advanced, and all I could do was have the zipper reset. That may be all you can do, also, but most likely it would cost more for new zippers than new half-chaps. You might be in the market for new ones.

--
    04 Dec 2011 08:48 PM

that sucks, my half chaps zip from top to bottom, so i don't have this problem.

idea without trial -- only thing i can come up with is safety pins. 

--
    09 Dec 2011 01:18 PM

All my half chaps (including my Ariats) zip DOWN, not up. That may be why I don't have this problem. I also have very wide calves (the width measurement is almost the same as the height!), so at first only used velcro half chaps.

--
    11 Dec 2011 07:40 PM
    Yup, live and learn #98857473737:  get half chaps which zip DOWN, not up! Our local tack store has a somewhat limited selection of half chaps, so I may just start looking online.  I am planning to ride in my barn's schooling show in January, and I definitely cannot show in them unless I devise some mechanical way to keep the zippers up.  So, to the Internet!  thanks all for taking the time to reply.

--
    11 Dec 2011 07:46 PM
    I used to have a couple pairs of Ariat half chaps before I got tired of the defects of them, so I switched to Millstones and they are so comfortable! I do admit, I have Ariat boots because they are the nicest kind (in my opinion). But I think the problem you're having is because of your wider calves, the chaps probably just slide down. All of my Ariat half chaps always zipped down, is this a new feature maybe? I would ask your trainer, because he/she might have the best solution for you, but I think the best thing to do would be to get new chaps, ones that zip down and feel comfortable. I recommend the Millstone half chaps, I have an adult sized pair in brown leather, and they are easy to break in and are very easy to put on. They also have buckles that cover the zipper to make it look nice and keep them nicely wrapped around the leg. They also zip down, which is a helpful feature. I hope my answer helped, good luck! :)

--
    12 Dec 2011 08:58 AM

For show, you should get leather half chaps, but for schooling (to keep the show ones nice), I recommend the Ovation synthetic. For some reason, they are a bit wider than others I tried. They are also a good bargain - I've had them for 5 years (worn ~2x/week) and they are just starting to come apart. Plus I can just throw them in the washing machine!

These are the ones I have (the "pewter" on mine is a really dark grey - it looks like black that's faded a little).

--
    12 Dec 2011 11:51 AM
    Yes, the reason I bought the Ariats was that I decided to ride in my barn's schooling show last spring, and all I had was a really cheap pair of suede half chaps, which I knew were not acceptable for show.  I bought the Ariats in time to break them in a bit before the spring show, and they polished up nicely; I got compliments on them that day, in fact, but then the zipper issue started not long after.  Like you, I am a "schoolhorserider" ;>, and I only ride in lessons @3x a week, so it's not as though I'm hard on the equipment.  

I'm going to check out the Ovations, too, so thanks for the tip!

--
    12 Dec 2011 12:04 PM
    I hadn't thought that it could be some muscle development,but you may be right. When I started a half-lease on one of my trainer's horses this past September, we began doing one lesson a week on the longe line, and it has made a *huge* difference in every aspect of my riding, and I know my leg is definitely stronger, so maybe I'm bulking up! ;>

Kristyn

--
    12 Dec 2011 01:31 PM

you can get half chaps pretty cheap when they're on sale.  as low as $20.

i don't know if your chaps already have one, but mine have a tongue of suede that goes across the zipper and snaps on the other side, so the zipper isn't the only thing holding the material together. (again mine zip down).  i was thinking that a shoe repair could add a piece like this, a snap on either side of the zipper, or sewn on one side and a snap on the other.

but, i don't know how much this would cost, which is why i mention that they can go on sale pretty cheap.

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to Dressage Today
    Subscribe to Dressage Today
    Subscribe today
    and Save 72%

Subscribe To Dressage Today

Give a Gift  
    Customer Service
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company