Join now or Sign in to comment
Injury Photos - Strong Stomach Only
Last Post 13 May 2006 11:58 PM by Ilovemusky. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages

--
12 May 2006 08:57 PM
    Here is the picture based on the subject too much drama. It is in an attachment. If you can see blood, look, if not, I'm sorry. This filly ran into a fence. Grose huh? Stick out tounge

--
    12 May 2006 09:00 PM
    Awwww, poor girl Frown Who's horse is that? Yours? How did it happen? I hope she gets better!

--
    12 May 2006 09:02 PM
    My friend's horse. Terrible huh? She has to wear Maxi pads to keep the stiches from draining

--
    12 May 2006 09:04 PM
    Awwww, poor girl Frown I hope she gets better soon! That's awful!

--
    12 May 2006 09:04 PM
    My horse had a very similar wound to that a couple of years ago. Almost exactly the same spot too.

Good luck getting stitches to stay in. My horse chewed his stitches out three times. The last time I called the vet to have him stitch Prophet back up, the vet said to forget it. The wound ended up staying open and slowly healing from the inside out. It took all summer.

On a good note though, there is barely a scar. There is a scar, but you either have to know it is there or look really closely to notice it.

--
    12 May 2006 09:06 PM
    Poor poor girl!!

--
    12 May 2006 09:16 PM
    Wicked wound for sure not a foot deep but still a nasty one. One good thing is its an area that heals easy but will take some careful attention till it gets started good. To bad it happened but thats one of the things aboiut having livestock they get hiuurt sometimes.

--
    12 May 2006 09:17 PM
    My friend wants to train her for barrel, can she still?(she's 2)..I don't know if it was 1 ft, but my friend said it was...I was not there when the vet said(I was cleaning out her stall with a broom...NO SAWDUST...poor me! It took forever...NO MATS...I need to quit complaining lol).

--
    12 May 2006 09:22 PM
    I don't see why she couldn't be trained for barrels as long as the muscle wasn't damaged. Have your friend talk to the vet about that. If the vet says there is no muscle damage, I'd say "Go For It!"

--
    12 May 2006 09:24 PM
    Thanks...The vet said some sort of damage was done to the muscle

--
    12 May 2006 09:27 PM
    Ouch. how in the heck did that happen? Hopefully the healing process goes by quickly, poor baby.

Chrissy

--
    12 May 2006 09:31 PM
    Wow, that is quite a wound! Horses can heal from the most horrific looking wounds though and go on to live very normal lives! Good luck and prayers all turns out well!

--
    12 May 2006 09:32 PM
    Only time will tell how much permenant damage there is. Thats an area that really can heal 100% with time but probably take a full year. A foot deep is really a long ways and even there you'd hit bone before you went a foot deep. Horses can recover remarkably well many times especially the young ones. Over the years I've seen some awful bad deals with customers horses and some of my own and been just amazed at how they turn out. The key many times is just how much effort a person is willing to put into the care of the wound.

--
    12 May 2006 09:33 PM
    AWWWW Poor baby!!!!

--
    12 May 2006 09:33 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Frown

I'd have your friend talk to the vet in more detail about the extent of the muscle damage and see what his/her recommendations are for future suitability for barrels. All hope may not be lost!

--
    12 May 2006 11:48 PM
    I saw something similar to that a few years ago. There was farm equipment in the field with the horses and one of them got impaled on it.

Not a pretty sight.

I hope the filly recovers soon.

--
    13 May 2006 01:16 AM
    holy crap Shocked

--
    13 May 2006 07:55 AM
    My barrel horse did the EXACT same thing a few months ago (6 or 7) and It was UNDER his *Arm pit* Blush So we could not stitch it where it was. He spooked at something in the pasture and tried to jump the fence and came down on top of a T-post. So I put TONS of Corona on it for a week and a half and he was fine! I took him to a show (His 1st ever show for that matter) And he did great! I did not do any barrel/poles on him just beacause I did not want to push him too hard! But I did do a reining pattern, and a lot of wp classes!

Jenny

--
    13 May 2006 08:50 AM
    i think that is what happened to Cb before i got him he has a Huge scare in the exact same spot about an inch wide but 5 inches long, the hair never grew back. this all happened like 10 yrs ago, i got him last year from his previous owner, who got him from the owners that this happened with. you would think they would make a new type of fence where they cant do this to themselves.

--
    13 May 2006 10:27 AM
    holy owch!!! poor baby!
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company