Join now or Sign in to comment
Limping... My mare is having trouble walking.....
Last Post 19 May 2006 10:03 PM by CowgirlinColorado. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
16 May 2006 07:14 PM
    All,
    Today, I went to ride my horse. After I got her from a pasture, I saddled her up, After I saddled her up, I went to walk her around when all of the sudden, she started to drag her leg. Then she strated to limp preety bad! What should I do? Confused Smile I stuck her back in her stall, but should I do anything else? I have someone tomorrow morning coming to look at her so I will ask her.

--
    16 May 2006 07:25 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that Frown
    Have you checked her feet for stones / abcesses? It's stange that she'd come up lame that suddenly. Any heat or swelling? You're doing the right thing having someone look at her, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

--
    16 May 2006 07:28 PM
    I looked at her hoofs, no rocks or stones. I noticed only one thing. ?????????????????.................????????? Frown Confused

--
    16 May 2006 07:47 PM
    Been there. I didn't get a vet out only becuase I trudt my barn owner (and he is my farier) but I'm glad to hear you are. Check for heat, swelling and rocks ect. You may want to soak it in some water. If she has shoes on they may need to be pulled off.

--
    16 May 2006 07:50 PM
    Thanks fro the tip.

--
    17 May 2006 07:17 AM
    Sounds like Rileygirl pretty much covered it. Check for heat/swelling (hooves also), any unusual lumps or bumps on the legs. Is there anyone there with an educated eye that can watch her move and determine where the lameness is located, whether it be up in her shoulder or lower leg? This may help you diagnose the problem a little more and narrow in on where the soreness is coming from.

Keep us posted.

--
    18 May 2006 06:21 AM
    If there's no heat & swelling, I'd say it sounds like stifle. What did the vet say?

--
    18 May 2006 10:25 AM
    We called him over the phone and he said it might be we abrasion(sp??).

--
    18 May 2006 08:29 PM
    I suspect he said abcess... That may require soaking in apple cider vinegar, a borax slurry or epsom salts (one of those not all 3) lol.. DO not be quick to poke a hole in the hoof sole digging for it. Then I would prolly boot up in a soaking boot with an epsom salts and betadine poltice.

Let us know what the vet says..

--
    19 May 2006 10:03 PM
    She is doing so much better. Thanks fr your thoughts! I will keep you guys updated!
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company