Join now or Sign in to comment
Horses and sheep??? Together?
Last Post 26 Apr 2006 02:39 AM by 702147. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
25 Apr 2006 10:35 PM
    I need to know if horses and sheep can be put in the same pasture at different times, one out at night the other at day. I thought sheep carried some kind of disease, but I am not sure if it contagious to horses.

Amber

--
    25 Apr 2006 10:44 PM
    We have horses and sheep in the same pasture at the same time. No problem. Actually, I read in one of my horse books that sheep are good companions to horses because their bodies kill parasites and such that can kill horses. So, actually, they help keep horses healthy Wink So there's no problem with horses and sheep sharing a pasture Smirk

One thing about having a young horse in with sheep at the same time, is this might result, lol!

ETA: I've owned horses for almost four years now, all the time having sheep in the pasture as well, and we haven't had a single problem Laugh

--
    25 Apr 2006 10:44 PM
    My next door neighbor pastures her horse and her donkey with sheep, in the same pasture, at the same time, 24/7. She's been doing it for at least three years now, and so far, so good.

Not a very scientific answer, I know, but it seems to work fine for her.

--
    25 Apr 2006 10:46 PM
    We keep our sheep seperate, and the people who owned them last kept theirs apart too. I have "wild" sheep though, Barbados Black Bellied Sheep, they are aggressive towards dogs, and were to my pony when he accidently got out with them. So they happily stay in their pen, and he happily stays in his. I don't know about regular domesticated sheep, I do see an older horse with sheep all the time on a road I go past.

--
    25 Apr 2006 10:56 PM
    Penny, the TB i used to own, has been out with 3 sheep as her only companions since I sold her last year. She adores them- she even herds them! (it is hysterical to see a huge TB herding and cutting sheep!) And I know her new owner would never ever put her at risk, so I believe they are fine being pastured together! Smile

--
    25 Apr 2006 11:08 PM
    Glad you posted about this!! I want to buy a new horse who will be turned out with 2 sheep and 6 goats. Grin

--
    26 Apr 2006 02:39 AM
    My friend's mini is an only horse. HOwever, she lets some friends keep their sheep (they do herding with their BC) at her place, and she turns her mini out wtih them. They're not friends, but they're not enemies... pretty much ignore each other lol! But no problems.

Jessi

--
    26 Apr 2006 09:02 AM
    A neighbor has 3 ponies, a horse, and 2 sheep all in the same pasture together. I haven't seen them chasing each other or anything. I don't know about the disease/parasite issue though.

--
    26 Apr 2006 11:54 AM
    When I was growing up (ages ago) we kept a flock of about fifty breeding ewes plus their goat leader and at times, particularly in spring when some pastures were too soft or newly seeded, we pastured our horses with them. Horses and sheep seemed to co-exist peacefully although sometimes the horses would try to accompany the sheep into their night pen (fenced tightly to keep dogs out) and share their evening grain. My mule, however, although fine with the sheep, disliked the goat and would herd her into the stream and then patrol the banks so she couldn't escape, so we had to remove him to his own paddock.

I think the biggest risk of keeping horses and sheep together is that the sheep graze turf very closely and, particularly if the pasture is near carrying capacity, the horses may be hungry. We found it worked better to rotate three or four pastures between horses and sheep, putting the horses into a field which had had a few weeks to recover from the sheep and the sheep into a field previously pastured by horses, to tidy it up.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company