Join now or Sign in to comment
Do horses get fleas?
Last Post 15 Jul 2006 05:44 PM by Chivalry's_Mom. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
14 Jul 2006 11:22 PM
    Ok.. silly question... but I've never heard of them having fleas! If not, why not? We had a stray dog show up at the house a few weeks ago & have been battling fleas ever since. Angry We've got it somewhat under control with the cats & the dog.. then I got to thinking... why don't Magic & Stich have 'em? Shocked (Thank goodness!)

--
    15 Jul 2006 01:53 AM
    Confused That is a good question!!
    I know we don't have fleas where i live, cause it is too hot and no humidity, ( 13% )so the eggs just get dessicated.
    Sure used to get them down at the beach though!
    Stick out tounge

--
    15 Jul 2006 04:09 AM
    Nope, horses don't get them. In fact give your dog one of your saddle pads to sleep on as a blanket, helps with the fleas for the dog. Smile

--
    15 Jul 2006 11:15 AM
    Why? Do horses smell funny to fleas or do they have oils in their skin that fleas are not attracted to? This is very interesting to me. I've actually never thought about whether horses get fleas or not. Very curious.

--
    15 Jul 2006 12:11 PM
    I think the PH of a horses' skin has something to do with it. Horses sweat, dogs don't, so the PH of the horses skin can switch from slightly acidic to basic, not a good environment for fleas to try to inhabit.

--
    15 Jul 2006 05:44 PM
    Honestly, I have no idea why. Smile

--
    16 Jul 2006 09:46 AM
    Dog fleas live on dogs and not horses.
    So they might land on a horse but will not live there.... Smile
    But!!!!!! I had a client with fleas on her sheep. They were very happy to live on the ponies too.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company