Join now or Sign in to comment
What's a good topical treatment for proud flesh?
Last Post 27 Jul 2006 01:51 PM by Jayne-Admin. 38 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages

--
21 Jul 2006 09:46 AM
    My horse sustained a cut on the outside of his left front leg -- just below the knee. I'm told it's been there for about 3 days, yet none of the barn managment called me to tell me. It's since developed proud flesh plus his leg is quite swollen, and I've had several people tell me that I can just hose his leg with cold water for 15 minutes a couple times a day, and then apply something like Furazone on it. Weeeell... the Furazone melted right off. So a lot of good that did. From what I've read, the best thing to do would be to put a bandage on it -- wouldn't that require stall rest? Currently ALL horses are out 24/7 and my horse would not appreciate being the only one in the barn -- I can imagine him pacing and that defeats the purpose of "minimal movement", doesn't it? But we will be moving in a little over a week, and he will have more stall time at the new barn due to limited turnout space.

Anyway! My farrier was at the barn yesterday and said that she wouldn't nessecarily use Furazone because it melts right off in the heat -- which it did. She mentioned a couple names of other things I could use, but I've completely forgotten. Blush So my question for you all is, what would be a better topical treatment?

I wish I had pictures, I will probably get some today if my batteries aren't low. This proud flesh is NOT going above the surface as much as I expected it to -- but the skin is not touching. I'm told once the topical treatment kicks in and gets some of the proud flesh outta there, the top part of the skin will slide down further, closer to where it is supposed to be.

Needless to say, if in a day or two I feel like it's just getting worse, I will call my vet. But I'd really appreciate any topical suggestions you have for me, because the furazone is totally not going to work...

--
    21 Jul 2006 10:09 AM
    I can't tell you what is good but I can tell you that I just read in either Equus or The Horse that Furazone is actually apt to promote proud flesh and therefore isn't really a good product to use. Of course I read this right after I used it on a cut on Toby's leg (which also developed proud flesh). I promply scrubbed right down to raw flesh (removing the proud flesh) and left the darned thing to heal on it's own. It's doing quite nicely and no more proud flesh. I'll try to remember which magazine had the article because it was accompanied by a great chart which indicated (briefly) the properties of the various products on the market which we all use. I should have copied and laminated it for the barn as a quick reference.

ETA - I forgot it's possible that it was in Horse Illustrated as Toby is now getting a free one-year subscription.

--
    21 Jul 2006 10:15 AM
    Oh! I think I know what article you're talking about - I think it was HI, I'm going to go look for it in a sec...

Hmm that's not good news about Furazone. What did you use to scrub on down to raw flesh? Smile I don't know if I'd be able to do that, but I'm curious.

Hehehehe, Toby gets the magazine in his name? That's so cute!

--
    21 Jul 2006 10:26 AM
    Preparation H... Smile
    Underwoods is really good stuff too.

--
    21 Jul 2006 10:47 AM
    Preparation H... the stuff for people with, erm, sore boo-tays? Wink LOL That seriously works? I've never heard of Underwoods, but I'll check it out. Smile

Well I found the chart that Redkan mentioned -- the only thing on here that got a "Yes" for "Stops Proud Flesh" was Granulex V. Hmph.

--
    21 Jul 2006 10:50 AM
    I know this sounds ABSURD!!!

A new kitchen cleaning sponge - the rough side - use after you have soaked the wound and softened it up. Gently use the rough side of the sponge to work at the proud flesh. My vet gave us step by step instructions on this - and it really works!

Also, "wonderdust" - (do they still make it?).

If all else fails, meat tenderizer will do the trick too.

--
    21 Jul 2006 10:54 AM
    I've had success with Granulex. One horse told me it hurted his poor little leg, and another (usually fairly wimpy) had absolutely no problem with it on his face. The first may very well have been looking for a tantrum excuse (he did eventually grow up though Wink) but I've never used it on myself so I'm not sure.

--
    21 Jul 2006 11:53 AM
    My Shyanne has one ont the outside of her right front. pretty ansty, I can see the tendons. I keep it cleaned and wrapped with a standing bandage & on antibiotics. She is not stalled. I use some stuff my vet mixes up - I will run out to the trailer and check what it is called.... chlorhexadine ointment. I have seen others have good results from tea tree oil but have not used it myself.

--
    21 Jul 2006 11:56 AM
    I've used Wonder Dust for quite a few years, and it hasn't failed me yet Wink It's helped heal up some pretty yucky looking proud flesh Wink

Karen

--
    21 Jul 2006 11:58 AM
    Quote:

I can't tell you what is good but I can tell you that I just read in either Equus or The Horse that Furazone is actually apt to promote proud flesh

It was Horse Illustrated, and it said the same thing about Wonder Dust. I've used Wonder Dust for years, and it's always taken care of proud flesh. None of our horses have proud flesh scars- not even Katie. She tore a chunk out of her chest this winter, and she doesn't even have a scar. I LUFF Wonder Dust!

Makes me wonder how accurate the rest of that chart is Smile

Karen

--
    21 Jul 2006 01:02 PM
    Quote:

Hmm that's not good news about Furazone. What did you use to scrub on down to raw flesh? Smile I don't know if I'd be able to do that, but I'm curious.

Hehehehe, Toby gets the magazine in his name? That's so cute!

Hmmmm... use? Was I supposed to use something??? Actually I took a clean scrub brush to it. He didn't like it but then there are other areas he doesn't like having cleaned, tough tooty. Smirk

And yes, in Toby's name. I used to get it and the offer was open to "new" subscribers so I used his name. LOL, my poor hubby is now wondering why all these horse offers are coming in for Toby..... Smirk

--
    21 Jul 2006 02:05 PM
    I got to learn a lot about proud flesh when my gelding got a huge cut on his forearm. Here is what my vet said:
    When a horse gets a cut and the body starts to heal, it heals from the inside out with what is called granular tissue, which acts as basically a generic tissue. That granular tissue doesn't have any nerves but does have an extensive blood supply. As the cut fills in with this granular tissue, ideally the tissue gets to the level of the skin then the skin closes over it. Then the granular tissue (remember it's kind of a generic tissue) begins to change into what is needed in that area (like muscle). Unfortunately, that granular tissue grows rather fast and sometime the skin doesn't have a chance to catch up, so the granular tissue grows above the level of the skin, thus producing "proud flesh" (which is slang for exuberant granulation tissue).
    That is why scrubbing it down to skin level works, it gets it back to where it needs to be for the skin to close over it (but be prepared, it bleeds like you've cut an artery! but don't worry it's okay horses can loose A LOT of blood before there is a problem. Not likely to loose that much from cuting/scrubing proud flesh). My vet said that if it got bad with my horse he would cut the proud flesh and then wrap it until the bleeding stops (helps with not getting blood everywhere) then wait for the healing process to continue. Sometime he said he would have to do that several times before there was complete healing. Luckily with my gelding the proud flesh wasn't so bad. I treated it with Wonderdust every couple of days and now there is very little scaring (surprised my vet with how little scaring there was for how bad a cut he had).
    I hope this helps.

--
    21 Jul 2006 04:45 PM
    I have been using Wonder Dust for proud flesh since before alot of you have been born Smile The thing to remember is that cuts on any part of the leg are harder to treat and many develop proud fleah--if it is a deep cut my advice is to get a vet to doctor it initially and NEVER CLEAN a leg wound with peroxide, you get instant proud flesh and can get really bad in a short period of time---a friend of mine years ago found this out the hard way---if you think it needs to be bandaged use teflon 4x4's (not gauze) and put Bio Gel on the wound--agree with others about Furisone---a small cut can be treated with the Furisone spray but never a deep cut , the spray promotes surface healing and you dont want that in a deep cut

--
    21 Jul 2006 08:13 PM
    I have been away from the forum for awhile but I can say proud flesh is kinda my thing.

Check out Ace in my gallery pictures. (side note he JUMPED the pipe gate yesterday, over 4 feet)

Best thing I found is mix gentle iodine and sugar into a paste, you scoop it onto a gauze or bandage put it on the wound and wrap the leg. Change daily hosing the leg and pick what proud flesh that you can off. This will eat off old PF but it takes longer so dont worry if your horse is touchy. This wont hurt the good flesh like some caustic products so dont worry if it slops where you dont intend it.

--
    21 Jul 2006 08:42 PM
    I have had wonderful results closing up wounds with a product called EMT gel. You would have to make sure that the proud flesh was reduced to the skin level first of course. My horse was starting to get proud flesh on a lower leg cut; I applied it; the next day the wound was scabbed over and it healed fine from then on. I got it at Tractor Supply but it was with the dog first aid. Great stuff!

--
    21 Jul 2006 10:54 PM
    Ooo so many awesome responses! Thanks everyone! Smile

I decided to go with Wonder Dust for now. Smile I hope hope hope it works!! I *might* scrub away the PF too, I don't know yet, though.

I feel like this is a dumb question -- Can I put Wonder Dust on the wound if it's still bleeding once I've scrubbed it? If I hose the leg ('cause it's still swollen) can I put wonder dust on the wet wound (Hey, it's a drying agent, right? Right?! Smile )

Aaaaand... do wounds like this usually cause the leg to swell?!? Poor guy, his whole lower leg is swollen and it's hot. Oi, does that mean it's infected? Ack Ack Ack!! Smile Blush

--
    22 Jul 2006 03:14 AM
    Quote:

Can I put Wonder Dust on the wound if it's still bleeding

Yep Smile

Quote:

If I hose the leg ('cause it's still swollen) can I put wonder dust on the wet wound

Yep, it needs to be a bit wet for the Wonder Dust to stick to it.

Quote:

do wounds like this usually cause the leg to swell?!? Poor guy, his whole lower leg is swollen and it's hot. Oi, does that mean it's infected?

Sounds infected. Have you had him on a round of antibiotics? For one of our horses, I'd give 25cc's of penacillin twice a day for 7-10 days. Better to be safe than sorry Wink

Karem

--
    22 Jul 2006 02:21 PM
    Thank you! Smile

Good news -- the swelling in his leg has gone down SO MUCH -- there is about half as much swelling as there used to be, and this time the majority of it is localised to the wound. Yeah!!

I got some pics for ya'll today. Grin Too bad I didn't nab any of his leg yesterday for comparison in the swelling. Yesterday I hosed for about 20 minutes, put on some Furazone (I hadn't been out to pick up the Wonder Dust yet, and I figured it was better than nothing). I had every intention on going out later in the day and hosing again and this time putting on the WD, but it stormed sooo hard and the lightning never quit. All that rain must've done some good, though, because this morning I was greeted with a much improved horsey leg, hehehe. Grin There was some weird white stuff on his wound, but it came off when I hosed it down. And there might have been some raw flesh peeking through one corner of the wound -- whew, I might not have to scrub it after all!

Hehe, OK enough chatter, now for the pics. If you don't like seeing horsey cuts... don't look!

This pic is *attempting* to show the swelling -- I'm not sure how much you can see because the non-swollen leg is farther back. The swollen leg is the one on the right of this pic -- the swelling is mostly around his knee now. OMG, yesterday his leg was like a LOG with swelling, it's soooo much better.

And now for the actual cut...

Wide view... see that grey spot on his front leg? That's the wonder dust! Grin

Thank ya'll soooo much for the advice, I'm so happy that it's getting better, and I'm positive the Wonder Dust will do the trick! Smile

--
    22 Jul 2006 02:37 PM
    I can't quite tell, but that looks like a pretty good cut, I would chat with the vet about some antibiotics. Better safe than sorry.
    I hope the Wonderdust works for you. Smile

--
    22 Jul 2006 05:34 PM
    looking at the pic of the wound it appears you have a flap of skin on the top of the wound----if you do that is you site of infection---you need to cut off that flap of skin or the infection will get worse---always cut off loose flaps of skin on any wound
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company