Bad Sportsmanship
Last Post 14 Sep 2006 10:44 AM by citabobita. 42 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages

--
05 Sep 2006 10:56 PM
    We had a bad horse show weekend.... Anyone else noticing a lack of good sportsmanship in the horse world? I've been noticing a lack of respect among riders, trainers and spectators. What ever happened to the days when your competitors were also your friends? And a first place merrited a congratulations, not dirty looks and gossip? I think we need to start enforcing good sportsmanship in our young riders, be them students, children, sibblings, neighbors or fellow riders. It's as important to learn how to loose, as it is to win.

--
    06 Sep 2006 12:52 AM
    Being a younger teenage rider, I can tell you first hand that a lot of riders especially my age like too be awfully snoody at a horse show and I usually overhear some comments like "She didnt deserve that blue ribbon because [Insert bad excuse here]" and whatever happened to respecting the judge's final descition, I dont mind anyone asking what they are looking for because I do all the time, but really?

--
    06 Sep 2006 02:42 AM
    I grew up showing and did not dare be a brat like that, for fear of my life. I grew up in the seventies, we got spanked back then, with wooden spoons, with holes in them (OUCH!!!).
    However, teens are a tough lot. I see what you are talking about some here and there. I must say the Horse Trials/events I have been to have not had any of that! Seems a lot more friendly and supportive while being competitive.
    I also must say that I have at times been a catty you know what at shows. Mainly when my friends get beat and I feel it was unfair. It's human nature but we should not behave that way!

--
    06 Sep 2006 07:21 AM
    oh jeeze erica!

Actually thanks for bringing this up. My old barn was like a training barn FOR bad sportmanship. Everything from, stealing to really bad loosing! not only like show wise but just pleasure riding, everything was a compitition to them and they HAD to win. If you were getting compliments from your trainer and they werent, or you were doing something better then them, they would go out of there way to change that. (ex. cracking a wip so the horse spooks, screaming, jumping up and down) it was HORRABLE. There was NO structure whatsoever. once at an in barn show, there is like 19 horses at my old barn, about 34 BILLION students ( Stick out tounge overexagerating) but that means one horse had to be used more than once (not jack cause everyone is afraid of him Grin Smile) but it was always. "hey you cant ride this horse because im in the same class as you" ya well your not riding at the same time are you? learn how to comprimize peacfully! you dont need to be a snot about it.

My first show was a small jumping show. over poles. I had only been riding hmm like 2 weeks. My trainer just let me in for something fun! i ended up getting 3rd place. BUTT "oh no that wasnt good for the other riders" because i was still "the new kid" and new kids are suppost to be good. After about 2 years of riding I was going strong(riding wise) I was heading towards my first lease, working at the barn every day. riding multiple times a week and they saw me advancing. within the next few weeks and months, I would find my boots in the paddock(out of my tack box) my gloves were stolen on a DAILY basis. My helment was thrown outside durning a rain storm and jack played with it. once i even found dirt and water in my new boots. there was ALOT of fighting,throwing and other things YOU SHOULD NEVER do around a 900lb. animal! it was never a congratulations but always "that should have been me" ARGG people make me sick.

And that is why i left Grin
    Edited:
    typos Grin

--
    06 Sep 2006 10:11 AM
    Funny you bring that up. We were just discussing this exact topic this weekend. I have a friend who rides Arabians and does not want to show because of all the nonsense and politics. I don't blame her. So true about the gossip and ill feelings towards each other. We've lost the meaning of "sportsmanship".

--
    06 Sep 2006 10:31 AM
    There's post over on COTH that addresses the poor sportsmanship of a point stalker. Apparently, this person is at the top of the division, and in order to remain there, literally waits on the side of the road to follow the perceived competition to shows, calls show management to find out if the competition is showing and has even had shows HELD UP for her arrival, with the express purpose of beating them in a single class in order to keep that top standing.

What's really frightening is that the stalking isn't just in the Pleasure division, it's also in LEADLINE. Angry Angry

I am the coordinator of a national breed awards program. If I so much as got wind of this situation happening in my program, I would be all over the stalker and she would be banned from competition. Period. I will NOT tolerate behavior like that! Why this show association does is beyond me (and since it's in my area, I now know NOT to waste my money showing with them).

I would also encourage the stalked competitor to use legal means (anti-stalking laws) to stop this person as well.

--
    06 Sep 2006 10:31 AM
    Did you see the article by George Morris in the last issue of the USEF magazine? He talked a bit about this and about the "overindulgence" and "coddling" of the newest generation of riders by their parents and coaches. I think bad sportsmanship is a product of it. You know, spare the rod, spoil the child and all that lol.

I'm proud that I come from a very tough show barn. My trainer just does not tolerate crap from the students. If you are notoriously a bad sportsman, bad horseman, or whatever, you won't last long. She presses on the kids that it's not about the ribbons: it's about doing your best and having fun. She always says "If you want a ribbon that bad, I'll go out and buy you one, they're only $.99!" But at the same time, if we're at a show where the judge is completely off his/her rocker, she's the first one down there bothering the show steward, highlighted rule book in hand lol. Some of the kids she's brought up from 7-8 yrs old now to 14 and 15 are some of the most amazing competitors, and people I've ever met. And I think it's because she's so tough. She's not one to protect your ego (in fact she's infamous for making students cry haha) but you'll learn how to ride, you'll learn how to compete, how to win and how to lose. But I know from experience, it's hard to come by a show barn with that kind of ethic. Most just want to take your money and have you feel good about yourself.

--
    06 Sep 2006 10:35 AM
    Oh isn't showing fun sometimes! Smirk This is part of the reason I haven't been overly keen to show in reining anymore. But on my circuit it is the older adults that act like spoiled little children. It got to the point where I was embarassed to be sitting next to some of them and I certainly stopped considering some of them 'friends'. While I'm not someone who have never done or said anything off color - I at least try to set a good example in front of my kids.

--
    06 Sep 2006 11:14 AM
    I've seen nothing but bad sportsmanship in these local shows. I brought my Arabian into the hunter ring and beat out 5 of the 6 competitors. That got some people royally ticked.

I don't care what they say to me or how they think of me. My horse is a different story though. I've torn people apart for making snippy little comments about him and his breed's displacement in any jumping sports.

The worst thing that I've ever seen was when I was waiting to enter the ring and the girl that came out had been jumping 2'6 and apparently, her horse was not fast enough, as she came out beating him with a crop. I stepped my horse in front of hers and warned her that if she did not stop, I'd take the crop and shove it so far up her you-know-what that she'll never find it again. The worst part was that the horse just lowered his head and took it; after jumping a COMPLETELY CLEAN ROUND. Nothing is worse than abuse to the horse. Talk about bad sportsmanship.

--
    06 Sep 2006 11:18 AM
    Quote:

I stepped my horse in front of hers and warned her that if she did not stop, I'd take the crop and shove it so far up her you-know-what that she'll never find it again.

Good for you! More people need to step forward and call people on their bad behavior. Public humiliation is a great way to stop poor sportsmanship.

--
    06 Sep 2006 11:33 AM
    hi show mom, i have a story i thought you might find refreshing. this may give us all some faith that there are lots of kids out there that have better manners and decorum than some adults... i was riding in one of my first shows. i entered a class that i really wasn't ready for. anyway... i did it as a learning experience. and to have fun. anyway... a darling young girl who rode at the same barn i was at was watching me. from what she told me, the story went something like this... she was standing at the rail watching and a few "women" were sitting behind her watching too. she over heard them critiquing the riders in the class. and then when i passed by they all laughed and said how terriable of a rider i was. well, this little girl turned around to the "women" that were making fun of me and said, "hey, thats not very nice, she is my friend, and atleast she is in there and not sitting on the side like you!" i don't know how these "women" reacted, but i was very touched and proud of this young girl for responding the way she did. when i take my neice isabella to horse shows and we are competing or spectating, i make a point of teaching good sportsmanship and manners. it's our responsibility as adults to set examples.
    anyway... did y'all have any fun at all at the show? there have to be some good moments... would love to hear...

--
    06 Sep 2006 11:36 AM
    The sad point is that this is not just in the horse show ring. Have you been to a high school sporting event latley? Heck it's even worse in little league. I'm so glad that my kids are grown and out of that crap. Sportsmanship starts at home. I would never tolerate my kids behaving like that. And it's a shame that people let this happen. I'm a firm believer that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

--
    06 Sep 2006 11:49 AM
    Bad attitudes happen everywhere folks..from horses to other sports(let me tell you about high school sports and this crap, being from Texas) I even experince it at work.

I saw a neat thing at the last show we attended..My son was riding in leadline and another little boy was riding as well..I knew his parents, but Casey and the other boy had never met..the other little boy was talking to casey about his saddle and casey was talking to him about his chaps and how he was riding a "big" horse(casey was on his pony)

The judge awarded the ribbons(she placed them botht first, they both did an excellent job) Casey was actually dissapointed, as he wanted a different color! They got off their mounts and spent the day playing power rangers..I thought it was wonderful..if these 4 and 5 year olds can ENJOY showing and have fun, why can't the rest of us?

Its one thing to be competitive, its another thing to try to play mind games with the competition(aw, I hear the footing is deep, your horse doesnt like deep footing does he?) making snide remarks, ect,ect

The problem stems from ADULTS..my paragraph above PROVES children are not like this, the adult influence in their lives does it

Another story..I know a girl who shows localy..she is influenced strongly by her instructor and family, I have not ONCE heard them acknowledge that yes, the winner deserved to win, nope, the judge is blind, the horse is finished, blah,blah,blah..so this girl never works in the areas she needs, never improves(also because the instructor has the funkiest methods and reasoning behind them I could imagine..but thats a whole other story..) Now the GIRL is starting to talk like that..I agree, some judges can make a descion I do not agree with, but I accept that and if I make a mistake you can BET THE BANK I will acknowledge I did it and take what comes my way, placing wise.

I kind of went on a tangent here, I make an attempt to ignore it, kill them with kindness and beat the socks off of them! LOL

--
    06 Sep 2006 01:06 PM
    Well worded Sarah!! Smile

--
    06 Sep 2006 01:13 PM
    This is EXACTLY why I show very rarely. And things seem to get even worse at rated shows (which is why I pretty much NEVER attend those). The politics, egoism, condescension, and just plain rudeness and brattiness make it just not worth it. I can still ride and enjoy my horse, learn new things, test ourselves, and surround myself with good people without subjecting us to such negative environments.

--
    06 Sep 2006 01:23 PM
    It is pretty terrible... I have heard all kinds of stories from the "barn moms" who have children that ride where I do (I am one of only two adults, and there are only about a dozen students total). Most of the kids at our barn work their butts off and my instructor doesnt coddle anyone and has made it very clear that she is fair, but tough.

The one exception at my barn is the oldest "kid" there... she is 12 or 13... but acts like a know it all and has the patience of a 4 yo (interrupts our instructor when she is talking to a barn mom, etc). This girl does ride well, but she whines when things dont go her way. Our instructor actually had a sit-down with this girl and her parents after a show in July to tell *them* that their daughter's attitude needed some adjustment. It was kind of refreshing to know that there are adults who take being a good sport and a hard worker seriously.

--
    06 Sep 2006 02:19 PM
    I think it goes on because it's allowed . I have yet to see or hear of a trainer, parent or whomever, reprimand someone after an incident of bad sportsmanship. I don't know if it's just tolerated because "that's the way it is" and other people think it's cool to hang with their friends and cut down the other riders. Sure takes the fun out of showing, though. That's one reason I switched from hunters to eventing. There was a lot more comradery and not nearly as much pressure. You succeeded if you made it around the cross country course!

My last hunter show was the proverbial straw. I pulled up in front of the very nice barn that was hosting the show with my gray Dodge dually and red-fading-to-pink stock trailer. As I emerged from the office, I overheard two women wanting to know where the cow show was and what was somebody like that doing here.... I knew the quality was in the trailer. To me, it didn't matter what the trailer looked like, only that it was safe and pulled well. We went of to win the division and the stakes class! I heard catty comments all day, but ignored them.

I agree that there needs to be some way to enforce and encourage good sportsmanship. This is all supposed to be fun, right?

Cindy

--
    06 Sep 2006 02:58 PM
    I used to get a lot of flack in my teens because my horse wasn't from a barn, I didn't have a trainer, and I was just a poor dumb kid. I stopped showing because it wasn't fun, and the kids weren't even nice.

There ought to be a good sportsmanship, or congeniality award at shows, and they should make a HUGE deal out of it. Smile Just my 2 cents. Smile

--
    06 Sep 2006 03:19 PM
    Quote:

There ought to be a good sportsmanship, or congeniality award at shows, and they should make a HUGE deal out of it. Smile Just my 2 cents. Smile

Great idea!! I'm going to put that up for when I have a schooling show at my arena! Smile

--
    06 Sep 2006 03:29 PM
    That really is a good idea... the aforementioned 13 yr old at my barn doesnt know how to take or give a compliment to anyone... but there is an 8 yr old who asks me if I had a good ride when I see her and will tell me that I look good (and I honestly think she is a better rider than I am!).

I will suggest a good sportsman award to my instructor if she has a barn show (shes been playing with the idea)
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to EQUUS
    Subscribe to Equus
    Subscribe today and get a Free Gift! Subscribe Give a Gift
    Customer Service
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company