Join now or Sign in to comment
WEST NILE BOOSTER???
Last Post 27 Jul 2006 11:57 PM by KaylaMarie_horse. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages

--
04 Jul 2006 01:30 PM
    I just gave my horse the west nile vaccine for the year. (Last month) I was wondering whether I should get a booster in a little while??? I have always had a horse that has had it every year and never missed one. This horse hasn't had it for at a least a year or two. Does she need to get anymore???

--
    04 Jul 2006 02:47 PM
    If the horse had it in the past year, you should be fine with the the one booster.

If it's been a lot longer than that, or you aren't sure, *I* would give the series of two boosters 3-6 weeks apart, to be on the safe side.

Where we are, we are boostering every six months.

--
    04 Jul 2006 05:10 PM
    I know I'm somewhat hijacking your thread but did you have to ask the vet to make sure he gave your horse that west nile shot. My vet just came out 4 days ago to give Grace her spring shots and neither my new vet or my old vet said it was a good idea to give it to her. They just gave her the basics. I live in NY, is that something that my horse should really have?
    Sorry for hijacking!
    Thanks!
    Megan

--
    04 Jul 2006 05:19 PM
    The way I see it, if you don't have a mosquito problem, I wouldn't give west nile. I personally am 50/50 on the issue, we have a TON of mosquitos here being right next to Louisiana, so I figure: better to spend $20 on a shot, than risk my horse being out in swarms of mosquitos everynight and one possibly carrying West Nile. That said, I guess theres always the chance I'll have a vet bill due to a reaction to a WN vaccine.

To the OP, I do not plan to booster the WN vaccine, my vet didn't seem concerned about only one being insufficient, and with the vaccine being not totally proven yet, I'll give one and hope it works rather than two and overdo it.

--
    18 Jul 2006 01:25 AM
    Yes, I think you should have your vet give WN shot to your horse. WN started in New York when it was first introduced into the country.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Jul 2006 06:34 PM
    Quote:

This horse hasn't had it for at a least a year or two. Does she need to get anymore???

I am in Middle Tennessee, some of us local, long-time horse owners have been having some pretty busy discussions on this subject for a number of reasons.

The bottom line is if you are un-sure, have your vet draw blood and send it to the lab to check the Titer levels.

THAT will tell you if you need to give a WNV shot, or any of the other shots for that matter, this year.

I did not give anyone shots this Spring. It will be the first time in 15 years they didn't get shots and the first time since 1999 for not having a WNV shot.

That doesn't mean they won't get them before the year is out.

When my Coggins run in September, I am having the vet draw enough blood to check the Titer levels on all four horses. I will base my shot decisions on the lab results.

Hope this helps you decide which way to go; where you live and the rate of disease outbreak is also a big part of the formula Smile

--
    18 Jul 2006 07:39 PM
    Talk to your vet! They'll have a recommendation for your area. Depending upon when you gave it to your horse in relation to the "mosquito season" you may want to do a booster. If you gave it just before the mosquitos got bad or after then you might not need to Smile Our vet was very informative about my horse's needs based on where we live and the time of year. I only have to give one/ year if I do it in the beg. of May each year Laugh but that is for where I live in S. CA!

--
    18 Jul 2006 09:23 PM
    The overall statistics show that a horse what only gets the one injection has a much greater chance of coming down with WNV. (CA at least has the stats of horses that were properly innoculated vs. the horses that were incorrectly or incompletely vaccinated).

Also, on the subject of the boosters; my vet's very first case of WNV (confirmed) was a horse that got the correct original initial series of two shots.

That horse did NOT get a booster at six months--at 10 1/2 months post-original series, that horse did get WNV. Although the horse bounced back within a few days (before the test results confirmed WNV) and suffers no permanent effects of having had WNV, the horse DID have to be treated.

Mosquito population isn't necessarily a good risk indicator. For example, CA doesn't have nearly the population (numbers) that other parts of the country do have. However, of the TYPES of mosquitos that we DO have, some are especially well equipped to carry WNV (via reports through UC Davis).

Re: reactions....I vaccinate all of my own horses and also do the vaccinating for my trainer's client's horses. Over the past few years, I personally have given at least 150+ WNV vaccinations. And I have not had one horse with any reaction.

My vet and his associate have vaccinated every one of their own horses (broodmares included), their family's horses, and tons of their client's horses, and continue to booster those horses. Last time we talked, he said that between them, they have given well over 1500 WNV vaccinations. They have not had one horse with a reaction of any type. They are VERY careful to inject EVERY single horse in the same area, and not to vaccinate any horse with anything else at that time in the same area--so that should there be any reaction there would be no question that it would be the WNV vaccine.

They do use (and I use also) the killed version of the vaccine.

This is not to say that there is no chance of a horse having a reaction. But in my personal experience, the risk seems low overall compared to the benefits of vaccination.

Anyway, just throwing a couple of things out...

--
    19 Jul 2006 04:00 PM
    there have been confirmed cases of West Nile in San Diego and Riverside counties in S CA---since I live in San Diego county I innoculate for West Nile and give it every 6 months

--
    19 Jul 2006 09:11 PM
    To confirm what Palmare said above...we are also in So. Calif.

My own vet, for which I relayed the story of their first WNV case, is in Riverside County. And my trainer's horses (which as I mentioned, I vaccinate) are in San Diego County.

All of these horses are boostered 2x/year.

Dudet13, you may want to touch base with your own vet again; while the original recommendation on boostering was 1x/year, most vets (and UC Davis) have changed those recommendations to 2x/year.

--
    20 Jul 2006 01:59 PM
    Quote:

The overall statistics show that a horse what only gets the one injection has a much greater chance of coming down with WNV. (CA at least has the stats of horses that were properly innoculated vs. the horses that were incorrectly or incompletely vaccinated).

I'd like to see these statistics.. Anytime you give a vaccine, you're introducing something foreign so theres a chance with ANY vaccine that you're putting the horse at risk of getting sick. Like with flu shots for humans, just by getting one you're at risk of coming down with flu a little bit more.

--
    20 Jul 2006 05:30 PM
    Stick out tounge Jess, do what is best for you. BUT that said I have seen a horse get West Nile, it was not innoculated, and the owner had been told that she should get the horses innoculated, as the disease is rampant in CA. and that animal died! We here in So. Calif DESERT where we don't have many mosquitos, have had 4 confirmed cases of w.n. and three were fatalities in the last 18 mos!! DO I vaccinate? ABSOLUTELY!!! TWICE a year, in talking to three different vets, at several different endurance events, and the two vets that come to our place, no one has had a case of reaction to the W.N. vaccine yet. Will it happen? Maybe.. but I will not take the chance with my babies health.
    Sorry.. But thats how it plays out .

--
    20 Jul 2006 07:57 PM
    Here you are--straight from UC Davis. Scroll down to page 12 and it's in the first paragraph. This is a summary for 2004 (there is a comprehensive breakdown somewhere, but they have moved the page--I will post the link as soon as I locate it, as well as the 2005 report as soon as I find where it moved to *grin*).

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CEH/p...-1-sec.pdf

--
    22 Jul 2006 01:30 PM
    Sorry Jess, I haven't had time to look for where the comprehensive breakdown has moved to, for you. Will get to that just asap.

--
    22 Jul 2006 03:17 PM
    I don't know if you misunderstood my post, or what, but I just wanted to make sure I was clear on that I DO vaccinate for WN and believe in there being more benefits than risks Smile

--
    22 Jul 2006 04:53 PM
    I've had horses get WN that were vaccinated and were not both. All three that I've had get it recovered 100%. I haven't had any reactions to the vaccine so far and think there rare that do myself. But I'm not a big beleiver in vaccinating for it every year. I've taken Titer tests as have some of the vets I work with and we've found that every year vaccinations aren't needed same as Tetnus. While I'm sure the drug companies that sell the vaccine are going to say the more often its given the better I'm much more into independant reserch rather the reserch conducted by someone trying to sell me something. But its a decision we all make there is no right or wrong.

--
    22 Jul 2006 05:22 PM
    Wink County you hit the nail on the head.
    I agree 100%. We are probably giving too much or too often, it is better to have the info on the titer tests.

--
    22 Jul 2006 07:02 PM
    I wish the drug companies felt the same way but of course their in busiuness to sell drugs not do whats best for horses or our check books.

--
    25 Jul 2006 12:36 PM
    Hi! We're up north in Alberta Canada, and we only see mosquitos for about 5 or 6 months, max. But we vaccinate up here for West Nile as well. I have vaccinated my three horses every year since the vaccine came out, but I only have to give them one shot per year, because of the short season. My vet recommended that I wait until June to vaccinate as most of the cases of WN in this area are seen in August, and he said the vaccine is "effective" for about 4 months. (By the end of September, most of the mosquitos around here have flown south for the winter!!Or whatever they do to disappear!) I am in agreement with those of you who vaccinate - I figure the risks of something going wrong as a result of the vaccine are far less than what my horses could suffer without it. Also - when we gave the first vaccine, we "boosted" it 3 weeks later, but only the first year we administered it. Now - we give just one shot per horse, per year. Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Jul 2006 01:51 PM
    You got it, Beau! We're a ways north of you, and our amazing vet says to make sure it's done by the end of June. The funny thing to me is that we're surrounded by "cowboys" (team roping, team penning and barrels are biggest out here) and many of them vacc for WNV but nothing else. Last year the farm owner's penner picked up strangles, and I was glad I'd vacced as Squeaker never got it!
    S.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company