What does an Arabian look like
Last Post 28 Oct 2006 02:39 PM by believer_horse. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages

--
21 Oct 2006 07:58 PM
    riding hunt seat? My daughter has an 8 year old TB mare who has a bone chip so we can't ride her as much or as "hard" as we'd like to. My daughter has been offered an Arabian to ride but my daughter rides hunt seat. This horse is Western and Saddle Seat. I grew up riding saddle seat/Arabians and I just can't picture them HUNT SEAT!!! It just doesn't make sense! But my daughter has no interest in learning Western or Saddle Seat and I thinks she's bumming because she doesn't think he's going to go well hunt seat. This horse is so beautiful that I don't want her to pass it up though!

Thanks

--
    21 Oct 2006 08:07 PM
    Are you talking about actual hunters or a breed/open show hunt seat class?

--
    21 Oct 2006 09:14 PM
    They're as drop-dead gorgeous as when you show them Western or saddleseat Grin Your daughter shouldn't pass up the horse if they're a good fit.

Check out the Arabian Horse Association. They have a photo gallery that shows Arabians doing everything from the halter stance to endurance to dressage to taking a carrot from a very small child.

--
    21 Oct 2006 09:45 PM
    Seconding WiMorabs on this one. Course, I'm prejudiced as I too have an Arabian. But they really are great in hunt seat!

Plus, so long as your daughter is having fun, who cares!!!! Grin

--
    21 Oct 2006 09:47 PM
    No, she wouldn't be jumping this guy. She would just be showing him in equitation and pleasure classes. Maybe it's just me but I just can't picture a beautiful Arabian, who is built like a Quarter Horse, in that he is large and thick, being ridden hunt seat. I've only seen him in pictures in his Western clothes and he looks so pretty. I guess I've never been into hunt seat. Maybe that's it!

--
    21 Oct 2006 09:53 PM
    Oh my gosh! I just went on the Arabian page that one of you told me check out and I was looking at the pictures on there. The horse that I'm talking about looks JUST like the gray one that's cantering/galloping along the fence. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was him. That is so wild!

--
    21 Oct 2006 11:55 PM
    I don't know, judging by that website, and pics, Arabs look pretty darn-it good at huntseat! (I know that I am biased) Grin

--
    22 Oct 2006 12:53 AM
    I think arabians are pretty much able to do anything you wil let them. They are one of the most athletic horses in the world. I have seen them in almost every discipline I have ever watched. I say go for it if your daughter likes the horse.

--
    22 Oct 2006 01:34 AM
    They honestly look great doing about anything. I love them though (so much that I've got a breeding stallion and am looking for a mare for him). My stallion does cattle work and jumps (with great form, might I add. Most people have a hard time concieving an arabian jumping in proper form), and my gelding does everything. I've never gone to a show and not had someone comment on my horse's beauty and willingness, whether it was barrel racing, or hunter/equitation, or just hanging in the shade.

I say go for it! I'm sure the horse wouldn't mind. I'll try to find some photos of Arabian's doing hunt seat. There are quite a few from last year's national show.

Here's a gallery from a show in the hunt seat medal class:
    http://www.ishoothorses.com/gallery...ry_id=1054

Compared to my guys, these are a little flashy, with a compacted frame and perhaps a bit overbent at the neck, but I don't have much more time, so that's what you get! Wink

--
    22 Oct 2006 01:43 AM
    Here are some arabians doing hunt seat!

They're beautiful at anything and everything Smile

--
    22 Oct 2006 02:07 AM
    Here's Magic & I.... we showed huntseat successfully for many, many years. She has a very upright style of movement, which judges have commented is absolutely beautiful. At the same time however, you will find some judges who will "fault" that, as they are looking for the longer & lower movement of a hunter.... but ya' win some, ya' lose some & Arabs can definitely hang with the best of 'em! Grin

--
    22 Oct 2006 03:42 AM
    You may not win in the H/J circuit under saddle/flat classes, however, they do well in Eq, jumpers, etc. I have also seen quite a few Arab/Arab crosses at the 3 days I have been to.

--
    22 Oct 2006 11:53 AM
    Hey, if a QH that's built like a tank can do hunt seat, so can a western-type Arabain (and yes, they do exist!) It all depends on what the judges in the shows you'll do are looking for. If they want the stock-type look, from what you describe, they'll do well. If they want the Appendix QH or English-type look, they will probably have a harder time. Again, it all depends on what the judges are looking for.

Who knows, maybe your daughter will get along so well with this horse that she'll decide to dabble in Western as well. I've done it all with my Morab gelding (who's a 50/50 blend) and he looks good in all disciplines except saddleseat (not enough lift in the front). You're welcome to check out my photo album at Webshots or my webpage that's desperately in need of updating. Both links are in my sig below Grin

Out of curiosity, did the current owners tell you what type Arab he is (Polish, Crabbet, etc)?

--
    22 Oct 2006 12:36 PM
    no she didn't tell me what type he is but I can surely ask her. I will look at your websites, thanks for allowing me to! Around here hunter/jumper TB's and Warmbloods are all the rage and I can't figure it out!! I love Arabians. They are so beautiful and typey! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my TB mare but I have to admit that I NEVER thought I would own one!

--
    22 Oct 2006 01:10 PM
    Arabs are beautiful at anything you ask them to do. I never did huntseat with Coal, but did plenty of other things with him. Laugh They are beautiful horses. (I'm predjudiced too.)

--
    22 Oct 2006 05:56 PM
    I forgot that I put in the MHA website instead of my personal one, but if you go to the Farm Page and click on "Treasured Acres" that's my website. Again, in desperate need of updating, but there Smile

--
    22 Oct 2006 07:33 PM
    Arabians can do pretty much anything and look great doing it! They're beautiful!

--
    23 Oct 2006 09:43 AM
    Like Odhinn's Mom said, it depends on what you mean by huntseat. Breed shows, yes. There it will depend greatly on how typey of an Arabian he/she is. A open hunter/jumper shows, she will probably not be very competitive as a hunter. Arabians do not typically move like a hunter should move. It isn't breed discrimination, it's just most Arabians don't match the judging criteria.

--
    23 Oct 2006 12:09 PM
    If you are looking for breed specific huntseat shows, Id say go for it.

However, in the "open" shows, they are looking for more of a low moving "Daisy cutter" horse. Most arabs have to much knee action for what a open judge is looking for..

As MC said, its not breed discrimination, its that those horses do not meet the judging criteria.

--
    27 Oct 2006 01:37 AM
    In my opionion (owning an arabian myself) it IS breed discrimination. if its western pleasure, it shouldn't be by how slow, and the least motion they can make and still do that lead... its about making the horse look like the most comfortable ride ever.. and my arab is comfortable, and has that nice slow trot, that will put a QH to shame.. but because hes an arab.. he gets overlooked. and its unfair. a jusde even TOLD me that once.. "Well I'm sorry, but I just don't see what your doing with an arab at an open horse show thats mainly QH's..." its OPEN right?!?!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to The Trail Rider
    Subscribe to Trail Rider
    Get 2 Free
    Trial Issues +
    a Free Gift!

Subscribe

Give a Gift  
    Customer Service
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company