Join now or Sign in to comment
I need a 'gate' for Trail Class
Last Post 30 Jun 2006 12:11 AM by robison02. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
28 Jun 2006 03:34 PM
    Our new Western Pleasure horse excels at Trail Class! So, I want to keep him tuned up. We have cones and poles, and even a mailbox, but we don't have a gate to practice with. The horse knows how to go thru gates, but like anything, you have to practice!

So, I'm thinking, if I get plans, I'll make two gates. One for ourselves, and the other, I'll donate to our Saddle Club! (Ulterior motive here: I KNOW everyone else's horse in the club will be flummoxed by a gate! <evil grin!> ) (No, really, we REALLY SHOULD include a gate in our Saddle CLub Trail Class. By donating one to the club, it will benefit everyone. <yeah, RIGHT!> )

So, does anyone know of a set of plans to make a gate for trail class? Nothing fancy, something simple.

Thanks in advance!

2K10H

--
    28 Jun 2006 03:37 PM
    I've seen pictures somewhere... or can you find pictures of a gate from professional photographer's sites and pattern the gate after that? I've seen one from PVC... that was nice... and then I've also seen those rope type gates too... which basically would work with two jump standards... Smile

--
    28 Jun 2006 03:44 PM
    Our 4H has one that is metal. One of the ranchers made and donated it. VERY NICE! Do you have the ability to have one welded? If so I'll try and get plans...

--
    28 Jun 2006 05:34 PM
    About 90% of the shows I go to now use rope gates. It's just two jump standards with a rope between then. That's about all you see at the breed shows any more (I'm guessing because it's easier to come up with, transport, etc.) Go look at the trail class proofs from some of the major shows at www.kcmontgomery.com to get a look at some of the obstacles.

You can also keep your horse tuned up for gate work by just practicing the movements he needs to know for that obstacle--sidepassing, pivoting front and hind ends, etc.

--
    29 Jun 2006 11:03 AM
    Thanks for the link! I can make something like that!

--
    29 Jun 2006 02:23 PM
    My horses learn to do gates using the arena gate, then any gates we encounter on trail rides. Of course, if you don't have an arena or it can't be opened from horseback that complicates things. I like it though, since they are usually anxious to get back to the barn it's one more lesson in patience and obedience, and "If you do this well it will go faster." Grin

--
    29 Jun 2006 02:25 PM
    yep thats how i do except on a 16 hand horse a latch that is 4 feet from the ground is a big reach Grin

--
    29 Jun 2006 03:05 PM
    Yes it is! And it's worse on a 17hh horse! (Good thing he's so quiet!) Ponies are good for gates... Grin

--
    29 Jun 2006 03:26 PM
    Our new horse is 16 hands.

Doing gates is old hat for this horse. It's my DAUGHTER that needs the practice! LOL!!!

I think I've figured out an easy way to make some gates:

I'll start with a premanufactured fence panel that I can cut into 4 sections. Then add some 4x4 posts and some stablizers made from 2x8s (at the foot) and we're good to go!

How wide should the gate opening be?

--
    30 Jun 2006 12:11 AM
    Check the AQHA rulebook to see if they give any specifics on gate dimensions.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company