Join now or Sign in to comment
distance between fence posts
Last Post 02 Aug 2006 02:41 PM by 921048. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
02 Aug 2006 02:02 PM
    Ok we're getting ready to get started on making our giant field into pasture. I'm thinking of wire mesh horse fence and am not sure how far apart to space the posts. We'll probably put a strand of electric and/or a board along the top. Suggestions?

--
    02 Aug 2006 02:08 PM
    The closer the posts the stronger the fence I like spacing them 8 feet and make a really good solid H type corner both directions.

--
    02 Aug 2006 02:30 PM
    If you're doing board or mesh fencing then I'd agreed with County. The standard is 8' with good reinforced corners to prevent pulling/sagging. If you go with something like electrobraid then keep the strong corners but you can move your posts back to 20' or more as long as you pull it tight. You'll need to re-tighten after a few months then it should be good to go as is.

--
    02 Aug 2006 02:30 PM
    I think standard recommendation is 10 feet between posts. I used that electrobraid which I love by the way and was able to space my posts between 45 and 50 feet. That was a year and half ago and I have not had to re-tention it yet. Not sure about what the spacing would be for wire mesh.

So excited for ya though!! Grin

--
    02 Aug 2006 02:41 PM
    They're in electrobraid now, but I was kinda thinking mesh would help keep critters (like our local coyotes and those EPM-carrying oppossums) out, as well as if I decide to breed Rhythm someday keep a foal in. Thanks for all the advice everyone, and any more tips are appreciated!
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company