Join now or Sign in to comment
COQ10
Last Post 08 May 2009 10:47 PM by FloridaHorseman. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
24 Apr 2007 10:28 PM
    I want to start my daughter's mare on COQ10. But I am concern which brand should I buy and if 500mg a day is the right dosage. I have look and there are a million different ones.
    Thanks any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Apr 2007 04:01 PM
    CoQ10 (Co-enzyme 10Q) is a holistic supplement thought to act as an anti-oxidant and advertised by nutrition gurus as a cure for just about everything. From what I can find, the only thing proven about CoQ10 in human clinical trials is that it shows some effectiveness in treating gum disease. Recommended (by who?) dosage is 2mg per pound of body weight.

My question is: why do you want to give it to your daughter's horse? ~FH

--
    25 Apr 2007 11:26 PM
    Azucena has been treated for laminitis. She is doing great now, using normal shoes, and started slow workouts again. We have her now in Remission. I read in one of the Forums that in cases like Azucena adding COQ10 would help.
    I don't want to use anything that I do not feel comfortable with. Appreciate your comments and please keep them coming. Azucena is my daughter's precious girl. Do have to admit I'm crazy about her too!

--
    08 May 2009 12:30 PM

I don't think your previous correspondent is accurate at all in labeling Co-Q10 a "holistic" supplement. There is a tremendous body of research in both humans and equines: just Google "Equine Enzyme Co-Q10".

I'm interested to know how your horse has done, recovering from laminitis. Did the vet have an opinion as to what precipitated it?

I'm trying to launch a supplement based on water-soluble Omega 3 and Co-Q10.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 May 2009 10:47 PM

First of all, congratulations on resurrecting a thread that has been dormant for over 2 years.

[quote user="sailor645"]There is a tremendous body of research in both humans and equines: just Google "Equine Enzyme Co-Q10".[/quote] I don't know what you call a "tremendous body of research", but employing the exact Google search string you suggested returned 6 pages of commercial websites trying to sell CoQ10. And those sites contained just obscure references to anecdotal "research". Only 1 science-based website citing CoQ10's apparent human properties as an antioxidant turned up. http://www.informapharmascience.com...bsp; 

Vitamins, minerals, other dietary supplements and topical applications that are not specifically tested for claims of efficacy by the US Food & Drug Administration are not regulated and therefore remain "holistic" by definition. Ergo; anything a commercial sales outlet for CoQ10 or any other similar product claims as a unique, superior or alternative treatment is as holistic as the ancient sage advice to "just rub some dirt on it." ~FH

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • Best Selection of Horse books and DVDs online, check out what's new at www.HorseBooksEtc.com
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company