stomach sounds?
Last Post 20 Jan 2007 12:07 AM by MrsMoriarty. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
19 Jan 2007 07:39 PM
    I just purchased a gelding. Last night was the first night he was in my care. The previous owners didn't know much about him - they'd purchased him from a feedlot auction.

At any rate, I fed him some grain and two sticks of hay. This morning I went in to muck out his stall, feed, groom etc. While he was eating I heard his stomach make the most horrific sounds. I've never heard a horses stomach sounds without a stethescope.

Is the grain too much for him? Since spring 06 he's been in the pasture with only hay.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Jan 2007 07:44 PM
    Stomach noise is usually OK - its when you hear nothing at all that you have to worry. I'd keep an eye on him and make sure he's moving his bowels and drinking. Since you mention that he was on pasture and hay only, I'd keep the grain amount small (like half a scoop) for now. Let his guts adjust, so to speak... Smile

--
    19 Jan 2007 07:47 PM
    As long as there was fresh manure in his stall (and it didn't look too soft or dry) stomach sounds are normal in a horse. Some can be very loud so that you can hear them while standing besides them. I'd be more worried if there were no stomach sounds, as that can point to colic.

Do you know when the last time he was dewormed? How much grain are you feeding him now? If he hasn't been on grain or worked much in a while, I would start him slowly back on the grain.

--
    19 Jan 2007 07:50 PM
    I hear very loud rumblings every once in a while. It seems to be normal as long as it's not all the time. I would keep an eye out for loose, soft, watery manure though. And I agree, add the grain slowly, a little at first, then slowly (like once a week) increase the qty.

Also, whey was he last de-wormed? Heavy worm loads can cause extra noise, at least it did in my girl when I first got her.

--
    19 Jan 2007 08:15 PM
    Wormed about a month ago I think. I'll worm him again tomorrow just to be sure.
    Grain I've started him on only half a scoop with his hay. He gets two sticks twice a day.
    When I mucked out his stall his manure looked normal thank heavens.
    Thanks for the input!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Jan 2007 11:21 PM
    Audible stomach sounds are indeed normal.

If you "think" the horse was wormed just one month ago, I'd make sure before you do it again this close. Better to wait another month if you're not sure. And rotate wormer types so the bugs don't develop a tolerance. ~FH

--
    20 Jan 2007 12:07 AM
    Cool, thank you. I'll ask the previous owners tomorrow when they wormed last.

--
    20 Jan 2007 04:02 AM
    Stomach noises are good Smile

I have had horses in the past that if you couldn't hear their stomach from across the stall you got the vet out immediantly, so it's not unheard of to have a "loud" horse. You should keep an ear out and see if this is normal for him as abnormally loud gut sounds aren't necessarily good.

As for the grain and the hay...what were they? Are they the same stuff the previous owners were feeding him? Feed changes should be gradual as abrupt changes can cause problems although I suppose it's a bit too late to be telling you that now.
    You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to The Trail Rider
    Subscribe to Trail Rider
    Get 2 Free
    Trial Issues +
    a Free Gift!

Subscribe

Give a Gift  
    Customer Service
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company