MA Riding Instructor License Exam
Last Post 03 May 2011 03:49 AM by MaryRoy3310. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.
Author Messages

--
05 Feb 2007 06:57 PM
    Hi-anyone out there from MA? Just wondering if anyone has taken the written exam for the riding instructor license recently...really need to vent about the test (probably one of the most bizarre excuses for a "test" that I've ever seen-and I've been a professional educator for many, many years!)...anyone else have any thoughts? I probably failed the thing-simply because there WERE no "correct" answers for so many of the questions (and where did they get those questions anyway-from another planet???) Angry

--
    05 Feb 2007 09:51 PM
    I'm currently working on my apprentice hours but I haven't taken the test yet. What was so bad about it? I haven't received the practice test yet either. What should I expect? Sorry it didn't go so well I've been told it's really easy but maybe things have changed?

--
    05 Feb 2007 10:37 PM
    Hi, I took mine over the summer. The test just has a lot of ambiguous answers, but you probably did a lot better then you think you did. Smile

It is one weird test, were you in the same place as the pesticide test people?

--
    05 Feb 2007 10:39 PM
    It's not so bad, just read everything carefully. Study up on your laws, parts of the horse/hoof/saddles/bridle and most common diseases. The packet you get from the Dept. of Agriculture will have diagrams to study from. Also learn the footfalls/ beats of the gaits Smile

Good luck!

--
    06 Feb 2007 11:12 PM
    What practice test? All I got was a few sheets of MA General Laws and some additional legal stuff (on cruelty, "housing animals above the second floor" of a building, etc)....no suggested materials to review-nothing.
    Suffice to say-if I thought it would do any good, I would protest the test quality to the state of MA-but why bother? Whoever designed the thing is obviously not in the business of education or testing!
    And yes- we were in the same room with the pesticide applicator permit (or whatever) people...the proctor was giving them test instructions after out testing had begun-making concentration even more difficult.
    To those who have yet to take the test-all I can say is-good luck, hone your guessing skills, and don't try to think before you answer! Stick out tounge

--
    16 Jul 2010 12:49 PM

Haha that's hilarious I'll be going for mine shortly, I'm hoping it's as easily rediculous as my boston carriage license xD the questions were pretty hilarious xD

Nuggito

--
    16 Jul 2010 01:59 PM

How many states have rider instructor licensing?

--
    07 Apr 2011 01:50 PM

Took the test recently, and it's obvious who ever put the test together does not have a clue about riding, giving  lessons, or how to put a test together for that matter. They'd be better off getting actual instructors to put a test together. But hey, this is the govt we're talking about. Got to do it ass backwards.

Many of the questions are ambiguous, and it was obvious why most of the applicants were scratching their heads. The state offers no study materiel what so ever except for the laws. And many of the questions that make no sense have no correct answer. They make no sense. Leave it to the state of Mass. BTW< the only state that requires an instructors lic. and it costs every year to renew. 

--
    22 Apr 2011 09:32 AM

Mass is the only state witch requires you to have a lic. to teach. I think ever state offers it but its really expensive but Mass requiers you to have it and it kind of inexpensive and just alittle time consuming for 6 months

--
    02 May 2011 01:48 PM
    Can anyone tell me WHAT is on the exam? I don't know what to study!!!! Do I need to REALLY study the laws?? How are some of the questions worded? Is there a lot on the common illnesses? I am taking my test in 2 weeks and ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

--
    02 May 2011 02:41 PM

Yes, I just took it a second time, you really do need to know all the laws word for word. The horse questions are multiple choice or matching, but the laws are fill in the blank and Very confusing!!

--
    03 May 2011 03:49 AM
    Is there a lot on the common illinesses and diseases? 

--
    25 Nov 2011 07:16 AM

I recently took the exam myself and much to my surprise, passed!

Yes, most of the questions are nonsensical and don't even follow the study material very well.  The answers are often ambiguous and there is more than one correct answer.  There's a lot of true/false, fill in the blanks, matching and multiple choice.   DO study the laws and know them almost verbatim.  There is no actual study material that comes from the department - study the pony club manuals D and HA.  Know your anatomy and physiology, parts of the saddle and bridle and footfall sequences.  The laws are the hardest because there's so much study material to download and commit to memory.  You'll probably do better than you think - if you know your subject matter and the basics of horsemanship, you'll do alright with those sections.  But I can't stress enough how much you need to study the laws because those are fill in the blank questions - know them COLD. 

Also, some of the questions are in direct contradiction to what is in the Pony Club manuals.  I really can't and shouldn't give actual examples - everyone needs to know their stuff and know it well.  Licensing is a good way to make certain that there's a "standard" to which all riding instructors are held.  There are a lot of freelancers out there, but you're far more credible with a license than not.  Added to which, you can be fined for advertising or administering formal instruction without the license.  Honestly, more states should look into the certification/licensing process, but the exams really need to be tailored to horse and horsemanship knowledge.  The laws are important to know, but shouldn't make up the bulk of the material (at least they could be more specific about which laws to study rather than having you download 20+ pages of information). 

You are not authorized to post a reply. You must Sign In or Join Now to comment in the forum.

Featured Offers

• Never Be Stranded AGAIN. 24/7 Roadside Assistance - USRider - CLICK TO JOIN
    • When it comes to keeping horses healthy, nothing is more important than fresh water on demand. Do so with Ritchie Waterers. www.ritchieequine.com
    Subscribe to Spin to Win Rodeo
    Subscribe to Spin To Win Rodeo
    Get 2 Free Trial Issues + a Free Gift!   Subscribe Give a Gift
    Customer Service
    Copyright 2014 by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company