September 12, 2012 -- The 3rd Annual College Preparatory Invitational (CPI) Horse Show will be held on January 18-20, 2013, at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center in Wellington, FL. The deadline for applications to compete in the event are due November 1, 2012. As the date approaches, the organizers of the CPI look forward to welcoming college-bound hunt seat and dressage riders competing at the nation's premiere College Equestrian Recruiting event, offering them more scholarship opportunities, and introducing its new and returning sponsors.
The expanded CPI College Expo will take place in conjunction with the CPI competition and will be presented by Practical Horseman magazine. The College Expo offers a two-day opportunity to all college bound riders and their families to attend the CPI to explore all of their collegiate riding and scholarship opportunities even if they are not entered to compete.
"Practical Horseman is proud to sponsor the College Preparatory Invitational again this year. Our shared missions of encouraging academics and horsemanship, and providing riders with resources to create their desired college equestrian experience, make this an ideal partnership!" said Practical Horseman Associate Publisher Kathy Dando.
The Equine Network is owned by Active Interest Media, Inc (AIM). AIM is a leading publisher of enthusiast magazines, consumer shows, books and Internet sites. AIM was formed by Wind Point Partners, a private equity investment firm with office in Chicago, Ill., and Southfield, Mich., in partnership with CEO Efrem "Skip" Zimbalist III, in October 2003. The AIM Equine Network includes the print magazine titles American Cowboy, EQUUS, Horse&Rider, Practical Horseman, Dressage Today, Discover Horses, EquiManagement, USHJA In Stride, Spin to Win Rodeo, Horse Journal and The Trail Rider and the websites Equine.com, Discoverhorses.com, AmericanCowboy.com, MyHorse.com, USRider.org and EquiSearch.com.
FootingFirst, LLC is a returning sponsor of the CPI, with 2013 representing the second consecutive year that FootingFirst, LLC has sponsored the Coaches Reception. Karen Leeming, Partner of FootingFirst, LLC stated, "We really want to situate ourselves with the educational side of the importance of proper arena footing."
Leeming continued, "By working with the Colleges and Universities as well as the younger generation, we feel we can develop better horsemanship and knowledge for the future. I attended the 2012 CPI and was impressed with the depth of knowledge imparted to the attending students and with the overarching camaraderie amongst stiff competition. Our goal is educate and partner with these talented equestrians and their academic institutions for generations to come."
FootingFirst, LLC has been a leader in the development of synthetic equestrian footing since introducing the highly-acclaimed TravelRight and TraveLite surfaces. FootingFirst, LLC manufactures these quality products while producing superior riding surfaces for every equestrian discipline. After years of research and hands-on experience, FootingFirst, LLC has developed a range of footing surfaces, including the innovative dust-free TravelBright Surface. The owners of FootingFirst, LLC, Lawton Adams and Karen Leeming, each have nearly 30 years of experience in riding arena planning, construction, and footing installation. For more information, please visit www.footingfirst.com.
News for the 2013 CPI
* Olympian Nona Garson will be returning to the 2013 CPI as a judge for the hunt seat classes. Garson was a judge in the inaugural CPI, and we are excited to have her back!
* The amount of money for many of the rider scholarships has been increased for the 2013 competition. The High Point Dressage Rider and High Point Hunter Seat Rider awards have each increased to $1,000. The Essay Award, Champion of Service Award and Written Horsemanship Test will all award $1,500, and the eight Photo Journalist Awards that were new to the competition last year will now award $100 to each winner.
* CPI is pleased to announce the opportunity of three $1,500 scholarships to high school seniors who participate in the 2013 CPI and enroll at the Virginia Intermont College. To be eligible, students must compete at the 2013 CPI in their senior year, file a completed Virginia Intermont application, and submit all appropriate secondary school transcripts and standardized test scores to Virginia Intermont. Selections for acceptance to Virginia Intermont are based on scholastic success and community service. Students receiving the CPI scholarships and accepted to Virginia Intermont are also eligible to receive additional scholarships through Virginia Intermont performance and academic awards.
* The $1,000 CPI Champion of Equine Service Scholarship, sponsored by The EQUUS Foundation, is being offered to stimulate volunteerism and advocacy on behalf of horses and people who can benefit from the horse's unique ability to empower, teach and heal. Please see the CPI website for eligibility requirements and rules.
* The USHJA Foundation is pleased to award two (2) qualified applicants a $1,500 travel grant to attend the College Preparatory Invitational. Please visit the CPI website for more information on how to apply!
* Jack Mancini of ManciniPhotos will be the Official 2013 CPI Photographer. He will be offering special photo packages for riders and colleges. Find out more at www.CollegePrepInvitational.com/photos.html.
Thank You to All of the CPI Sponsors!
Practical Horseman magazine
University of Findlay
Send In Your Videos and Applications!
The most important application requirement to remember for the 2013 competition is that all hunt seat riders are required to submit a video via a YouTube link or DVD. The video must display the rider's ability over fences and must be no longer than three (3) minutes. Please consult the CPI website at www.CollegePrepInvitational.com for application instructions.
Applications to participate at the 2013 CPI Horse Show will officially close Thursday, November 1, 2012. Riders that apply after November 1, 2012 will not be considered. Riders that apply by November 1, 2012 will learn about their status, whether accepted to participate or placed on the wait list, by Thursday, November 8, 2012. Entries for the "Charity Alumni Challenge Class" will remain open until Monday, December 31, 2012.
About the College Preparatory Invitational
The mission of the CPI is to prepare and educate student riders in grades 8 - 12 about the format of college equestrian competition, encourage academics and horsemanship, and to provide the riders with resources to create their desired college equestrian experience.? The show is specifically geared to promote college recruitment of equestrians by providing the opportunity for coaches and potential students to meet in person. The College Preparatory Invitational Horse Show is rooted in the belief that equestrian talent, not finances, should dictate a rider's opportunity to be a part of a collegiate team.
Along with the competition, the CPI will offer seminars and question & answer sessions during the show.? Riders and their families will hear about the college equestrian experience and familiarize themselves with the different associations that govern collegiate riding.? There will also be a number or College and Universities present at the CPI to distribute literature and introduce the academic and riding opportunities, including scholarships, offered at their respective institutions.