July 13, 2009 -- Source Interlink Media Equine Network's magazines and website EquiSearch.com won 25 awards at the American Horse Publications (AHP) Awards Banquet in New Orleans, La., on June 27, for material published in 2008.
Held since 1974, the AHP Annual Awards Contest recognizes excellence in equine publishing. Participation in this year's contest represented 111 AHP members and 817 entries.
"Even in these difficult economic conditions, the equine magazines continue to strive toward journalistic excellence. I'm proud of the quality of all our magazines and websites and of the many awards the Equine Network received in this year's AHP ceremony," said Susan Harding, vice president and group publishing director for Source Interlink Media's Equine Network. "Both EquiSearch.com, once again winner of the Equine-related Website class, and Arabian Horse World, with three first-place awards and honorable mention for General Excellence, deserve special praise for the recognition they received."
Other first-place awards for the Equine Network went to EquiSearch.com for Online News Reporting: Related Feature Story, Horse & Rider magazine for Personal Column (circulation over 20,000) and EQUUS magazine for Service to the Reader (circulation over 20,000).
Tracy Spurlock won the Merial Human-Animal Bond Award for her article "A Chance Meeting," published in Horse & Rider in May 2008. The annual award is presented to the author of the article that best reflects and promotes the strengthening of the relationship between horses and people.
Also, the United States Hunter-Jumper Association's In Stride magazine, published by the Equine Network, won the Publication Staff Advertisement (circulation 10,000 and over) category for "Something Different" designed by Whitney Allen and Jennifer Allen for the April 2008 issue.
Equine Network's AHP Awards:
(for material published in 2008)
- 1st, Equine-Related Website
- 1st, Online News Reporting: Related Feature Story, "On the Rail: Do the FEI Drug Testing Rules Need to Change?" by Nancy Jaffer, October 1, 2008
- 2nd, Online News Reporting: Related Feature Story, "On the Rail: Farewell to the People's Pony" by Nancy Jaffer, June 10, 2008
- 2nd, Equine-Related Newsletter (Electronic), "On the Trail" edited by Laurie Prinz
- 2nd, Equine-Related Blog, "The Jurga Report" by Fran Jurga
Horse & Rider
- 1st, Personal Column (circulation over 20,000), "This Horse Life: For Whom the Belles Toll" by Sue M. Copeland, July '08
- 2nd, Instructional Series, "Showmanship Polish" by Andrea Simons with Alana Harrison, January-March '08
- 3rd, Feature Article (circulation over 20,000), "What's in a Whorl?" by Jennifer Forsberg Meyer, June '08
- Honorable Mention, Service to the Reader (circulation over 20,000), "Riding it Out" by Juli S. Thorson, April '08
- Merial Human-Animal Bond Award, "A Chance Meeting" by Tracy Spurlock, May '08
- 1st, Service to the Reader (circulation over 20,000), "How Bad is That Cough?" by Christine Barakat, February '08
- 2nd, Editorial Design (circulation over 20,000), "The 9 Most Bothersome Bugs" designed by Celia Strain, May '08
- 2nd, Magazine Cover Page (circulation over 20,000), "Special Eventing Issue" designed by Alyssa Tavernia, photography by Arnd Bronkhorst, May '08
- 2nd, Open Illustration, "Thinking Horseman" illustration by Deborah Palen, December '08
- 3rd, Instructional Single Article (circulation over 20,000), "How to Win on the Flat" by Emily Smith and Kip Goldreyer, June '08
- 2nd, Personality Profile (circulation over 20,000), "Dressage Surf & Turf" by Guenter Seidel with Beth Baumert, March '08
- Honorable Mention, Magazine Cover Page (circulation over 20,000), "Half Halt for Better Balance and Rhythm" designed by Phillip Copper, May '08
- Honorable Mention, Instructional Single Article (circulation over 20,000), "Finding Clarity" by Sue Blinks with Beth Baumert, September '08
Arabian Horse World
- 1st, Publication Staff Advertisement (circulation under 10,000), "For 48 Years.The Distinguished Chronicle of the Arabian Breed" designed by Melanie Davis, May '08
- 1st, Event Coverage Design, "Salon du Cheval" designed by Melanie Davis, February '08
- 1st, Equine-Related 2008 Calendar, "Arabian Horse World's 2008 Calendar" designed by Melanie Davis
- 2nd, Publication Staff Advertisement (circulation under 10,000), "*Besson Dreams Made Real" designed by Melanie Davis, February '08
- 2nd, Equine-Related Special Issue Publication, "Arabian Horse World's Las Vegas 2008 World Cup Guide" designed by Leigh Brandt, edited by Denise Hearst, April '08
- Honorable Mention, Self-Supported Magazine (circulation under 15,000)
- 2nd, Equine-Related Book, Healthy Hooves: The EQUUS Guide to Understanding Your Horse's Feet and Keeping them Sound edited by Laurie Prinz, designed by Celia Strain
To order back issues of the magazines, call 301-977-3900. For more information on AHP and the awards banquet, visit www.americanhorsepubs.org.