July 13, 2015--The Colorado Horse Park (CHP) saw a large turnout under clear skies overlooking the Rocky Mountains during the $100,000 Nutrena® Grand Prix Sunday. The class saw twenty-five riders contest the course set in the Coors Family Grand Prix Ring, which was designed by Danny Foster of Canada.
Out of six entries that advanced, the jump-off only saw two clear rounds, the fastest of which belonged to Christian Heineking and his very own AJE Cluny with a time of 39.23 seconds. Second place was claimed by Karen Cudmore aboard Clair Cudmore's Ceonto, with a time of 44.08 seconds. John Pearce and Forest View Farm's Chianto had a fast four-fault round in 41.23 seconds to place third.
Heineking, originally from Germany and now located in Fort Worth, TX, also took first and second place in last week's $75,000 Wells Bridge Farm Grand Prix during Summer in the Rockies IV, aboard his own AJE Cluny and NKH LLC's NKH Quanto, respectively.
AJE Cluny is a fairly new ride for Heineking, and the rider spoke of the horse, stating, "In the course he is great; he always tries very hard. He is a little bit spooky, but always careful."
"Today's course was a bigger track, which is to be expected for the $100,000. [My plan] for the jump-off was to definitely go clean, since I went second to last with no clear so far, but of course I always try to go a bit fast," explained Heineking.
Heineking plans to take AJE Cluny to the Million Dollar Class in Saugerties. "I think we are ready for Saugerties...he is in much better condition now and hopefully me too," the rider added candidly. "I usually ride him two times a day [for conditioning]."
As the owner and the rider, Heineking is proud of his mount, and explained that, "It only proves that our work at home has been consistent and solid and it is working for us."
Heineking's wife, Erin Davis-Heineking, also competed in the jump-off and took fourth place in the class aboard October Hill Hunters and Jumpers' Alamo. Heineking took home the first place prize of $30,000 as well as the ninth place prize of $3,000 aboard his second mount, NKH Quanto, owned by NKH LLC.
Jodie Herring, Heineking's groom, has been working with Heineking for two years. As part of the new groom's initiative, Jodie will take home $500 in recognition for her dedication to the sport and dedication to the winning horse and rider team.
In the $5,000 NAL Low Junior/AO Jumper Classic, sponsored by Nutrena®, owner and rider Caitlin Burns aboard Caruso K claimed victory and the $1,500 in prize money with a speedy jump-off time of 34.49 seconds. Claiming second place and $1,000 in prize money was Abbygale Funk piloting Lisa Kerkorian's Cassiopeia, with a jump-off time of 38.88 seconds.
Each week, the Savoy Stables Sportsmanship Award is awarded to a junior or amateur rider, chosen by horse show officials and staff, that exemplifies consistent demonstration of the highest level of integrity, horsemanship, positive attitude, and courtesy. This week, Claire Gravey and Erin Christianson were both given the award.
Competition at Colorado Horse Park continues with Summer in the Rockies VI, which will take place July 15 - 19, 2015 in Parker, CO. For more information and full results, please visit www.showgroundslive.com.
$100,000 Nutrena Grand Prix Results:
1. 1061 - AJE CLUNY - OWNED BY CHRISTIAN HEINEKING - CHRISTIAN HEINEKING 0/0/39.238
2. 600 - CEONTO - OWNED BY CLAIR CUDMORE - KAREN CUDMORE 0/0/44.06
3. 486 - CHIANTO - OWNED BY FOREST VIEW FARM - JOHN PEARCE 0/4/41.231
4. 1053 - ALAMO - OWNED BY OCTOBER HILL HUNTERS AND JUMPERS - ERIN DAVIS-HEINEKING 0/4/43.222
5. 1471 - VDL BRAVO S - OWNED BY VIRGINIA T BARTHOLOMAY - HUNTER HOLLOWAY 0/4/46.167
6. 889 - SOUTHERN PRIDE - OWNED BY BLAIR CUDMORE - KAREN CUDMORE 0/4/46.189
7. 885 - CHAMONIX H - OWNED BY SERENITY EQUESTRIAN VENTURES - KELLI CRUCIOTTI 4/81.737
8. 299 - SUPER BAD - OWNED BY BLAIRE CUDMORE - KAREN CUDMORE 4/82.43
9. 1055 - NKH QUANTO - OWNED BY NKH LLC - CHRISTIAN HEINEKING 4/82.813
10. 1003 - BON GIORNO - OWNED BY SHOWCASE 81 LLC - BRYN SADLER 4/83.095
11. 265 - CASTALANO - OWNED BY SANDWILLOW FARM - KATHARIN GUALTIERI 4/83.274
12. 488 - CHANTICO - OWNED BY KAREN BALL - JOHN PEARCE 4/83.942