June 8, 2006 -- The United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) has announced the show jumping team that will represent the United States in the 2006 FEI World Equestrian Games later this summer in Aachen, Germany. The four horse-and-rider combinations and first two alternates are as follows:
(Rider, Age, Hometown, Horse, Gender, Age, Breed, Owner)
1. Beezie Madden, 42, Cazenovia, N.Y., Authentic, gelding, 11, Dutch Warmblood, Abigail Wexner
2. McLain Ward, 30, Brewster, N.Y., Sapphire, mare, 11, Belgian Warmblood, McLain Ward
3. Margie Engle, 47, Wellington, Fla., Quervo Gold, gelding, 13, Belgian Warmblood, Wyndhurst Stables, Inc.
4. Laura Kraut, 40, Oconomowoc, Wisc., Miss Independent, mare, 9, Dutch Warmblood, Miss Independent Group
1. Jeffrey Welles, 43, Ridgefield, Conn., Armani, gelding, 11, Selle Francais/Dutch Warmblood, Kimmel Yeager Equine LLC and Triton Ventures Farm, Inc.
2. Molly Ashe, 35, Wellington, Fla., Neuville, gelding, 12, German Warmblood, Jane Clark
Following the show jumping selection trials held in March, a short list of 10 horse-and-rider combinations was created, composed of the top six finishers from the selection trials as well as four subjective horse and rider combinations. These wild cards were recommended by the USEF selectors to the Show Jumping High-Performance Committee and then approved by the Ad Hoc Committee on Selections.
The list was then divided into two groups, and each group did a European tour as part of the Samsung Super League. Their performances were observed and evaluated by the selectors and Chef d'Equipe George Morris. The selectors met this week, along with Morris, and came to a unanimous decision with a recommendation to the Show Jumping High-Performance Committee. Selection trial performance as well as their performance on the European tour was considered.
The 2006 FEI World Equestrian Games are being held in Aachen, Germany, from August 20 to September 3 with show jumping beginning on August 28. Visit EquiSearch.com for in-depth coverage by Nancy Jaffer.